Number of stands out

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Maine Hunter, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you guys hunt from one stand all season or how many keep their options open and have multiple stands? I currently have 4-5 hunting spots that are always ready to go and I have pre-scouted. I like to be able to hunt different stands depending on wind direction and not over hunt one area.

2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have zero permanent stands. I rarely leave a stand overnight but I might hunt the same spots on a staggered wind/weather basis. But my situation is probably ly different from a lot of guys in that I hunt private (not mine with permission) and Missouri public (no cams, no mineral, no bait, and any stand left in place must be labeled). I'm mostly run and gun, so really one stand that goes where I go. Good times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. Maine Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have looked into getting a summit hang-on or lonewolf hang-on with climbing sticks (pricey but I have heard good things) and being more mobile and setting up each time. I have seen a lot of guys do it and I have heard it is sometimes better. I am just to cheap to bite the bullet and buy a lightweight stand and sticks to carry in and out.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  4. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Yet, how much have you invested in all the different stands you have? Probably the same, if not more.

Not saying this is wrong or right, as we all hunt different ways. I'm one who would rather have one good stand, take with me (I hunt public almost exclusively) where I go instead of a lot of cheap ****ty stands that are left hanging to be weathered, etc. Friend of mine has a number of cheap stands, which I've had the misfortune to hunt out of. Don't like, feels like I'm about ready to fall out of the tree at any time.

Maine Hunter likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Love my lone wolf assault 2. Yep the cost is steep and it took me a long time to save up and get it with the sticks. But it's totally worth it for my style of hunting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Swamp Stalker and Maine Hunter like this.
  6. Maine Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more. I have a climber that is a few years old that I use on public but it is insane how much lighter stands have gotten and how much more mobile they have made them. I have thought about selling a couple to put towards a good lightweight hang-on.

Tiny_MN and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  7. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am hunting family land in Kansas this year and my personal land in Louisiana. I hung 3 lone wolf stand this weekend in Kansas and identified 5 other sites for my summit climbers. at home in Louisiana I have two lock on stands hung and two climber sites.

Maine Hunter likes this.
  8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One stand, LW Assault w/ 4 LW sticks. I will be hunting a different spot almost every hunt this year. Being mobile with a hang on and sticks isn't for everyone, and requires much more effort than using a climber and being mobile. (More moving parts) I'm forcing myself to make it my style of hunting to increase my odds where I hunt on public land.

Maine Hunter likes this.
  9. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    have 4 ladder stands set
    1 elevated enclosed blind
    wanting ground blind to one specific location where i cant get a stand into.

hunt almost exclusively private land and we know the trails, pinch points etc.

10. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On my own land, 50 acres, I have one stand on each of my two food plots I sometimes move one of the stands off the plots and onto a travel corridor if the deer aren't getting to the plot till after dark.

On public land out of State I have 3-4 spots per season and hang a stand at each, then pull the ladder sticks when I leave.

I used to use climbers exclusively on public land but the older I get the less I like getting up in climbers

Maine Hunter likes this.
  11. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like to run and gun but I do not limit myself to that and also have lock ons out and have a climber for when I feel like trying that. It is really just how you want to hunt. What kind of bow hunter you want to be if you get what I mean

Maine Hunter likes this.
  12. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Almost exclusively hunt from my summit viper (climber) and rarely sit the same stand twice.

Maine Hunter likes this.