So what's everyone using for illuminated nocks these days?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, Aug 9, 2019.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the past I used Easton Tracers but it looks like they have discontinued them. I never had issues with them so surprised me.

I bought some Lumenok's and like the brightness but for some reason they are finicky to trun off reliably. Wiggled one to get it turned off as instructed an put it in the box. When I opened it the next day it was on, so no clue how many hours wasted on the battery. Some of them will go out, but then come back on dimmly lit.

Have a bunch of firenocks that I bought and never used but they're too small even if I could get fresh batteries.

See a lot of no name China ones on Amazon but don't want to waste time and money trying them, without reccomendations anyway.

2. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had good Luck with Nockturnal. Only shot two deer with them but they worked great.

Hillbilly Jedi likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wanna say mine are carbon express that my bow shop recommended. They work great, second season and still bright and simple to use. I've used several and they are just as good as any other so I cant really complain. I think it was luminock that has the switch that required a pointy object to turn the switch off? Hated those.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tossed all mine. Arent worth the hassle or inconsistency.

5. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been running nockturnals since they came out.. I have not had any issues with them at all.

JasonOhio2018 and Longdraw like this.
  6. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Accuracy wise, Firenock can’t be beat but they’re pricey and a little complicated. For G series nocks, they’re really the only good option. I have tried basically all of them. I am interested in how the new Victory ones are in G.

The issue with most of them is the nock itself. They’re usually very bulky and nearly impossible to get the same POI. You almost have to be all in if you’re going to use them and have them on all your arrows.

That’s where the Firenock is superior, the nock itself. Their nock is phenomenal and I would use it on any target setup even. The lighted portion is a little complicated though. For filming, you almost have to have lighted nocks so until I find a better G option, the Firenock is it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Theana9

Theana9 Guest

+1
    [​IMG]

8. redpresto66

redpresto66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started with Nocturnals. They work great. The only issue with their new version is they seem to activate when I nock them. Which is awesome when you’re using the strobe version in a ground blind at 5am. Tried the Spot Nocks and they clip really hard on the string. A few have caused my arrows to wobble a bit down range. Easy on/off switch but a few didn’t completely activate. (On went it hit the target then flickers on and off). Tried Clean Shot Nock Outs. Much smaller nock. Shot two turkey with them and both broke. Fortunately a daylight shooting so I was able to recover my arrow. Glory Nocks... a little switch on the nock turns it on and off..... allegedly. Worked for one day then wouldn’t activate on the shot. So that left me with Lumenok. My Dads Ravin crossbow uses them as did his Parker before that. Always had issues keeping them off. Shoot, deactivate then next day they’re on again in the case. However the new version they sell is way better. I shoot GT Hunter Pro. Installed the HD Orange. Here’s what I’ve found. Install and activate the nock. Hold the arrow below the fletching with one hand and the other one grabs the nock. Bend the arrow slightly back and forth (like you’re checking for cracks). When the light goes out. Start shooting. Extinguish the nock after every shot for the first three or four shots. After that they seem to stay off. Before you go out to hunt, activate them and deactivate them to make sure the contacts are still clean. If you’re installing them in old arrows you may wanna take a small piece of sandpaper to the inside of the shaft to clean out dirt. Good luck.

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lumenoks X Nocks for me.

10. BGC

BGC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just got the Glory Nocks to try in my VAP TKOs. The “.166” size doesn’t come close to fitting—I’d have to ream out the shaft.

11. BGC

BGC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Update-apparently the Glory Nocks can be shaved down a little. No, thanks.

12. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nocturnal. Easy to use, has worked every time. I bought 1 three years ago, shot 3 deer with same Noc (all pass thru) and it finally quit working after the last deer when arrow bounced off rocks. Needless to say, I bought some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

JasonOhio2018 likes this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Went ahead and got some Nockturnals, anyone tried the blue? I was going to get a pack but not sure how well they would be visible. I've always used green, orange or red with good results.

$18-19 a pack not a bad price.

mhouck06 likes this.
  14. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve tried blue and didn’t care for them during the daylight. I couldn’t pick them out as easily as red/orange.
    They look fine as the shot is heading to target, it was finding it in the ground I had the issue with.
    Still, $18/pack is worth it.

cls74 likes this.
  15. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Blue is the only color I run.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll probably end up with a few, want to practice with them a few times. Once I seen how they were turned on and off I know I have used them before, just not sure why I stuck with the Easton Tracers over them.

mhouck06 likes this.
  17. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use Firenocks and have for many years ... Just love them.
    If your firenocks arnt the size you need for your arrows you can send them back to Dorge at Firenocks and for a fee he will exchange them for the size you need.

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doubt the trade in thing would work for me, I bought the ones I have in '09 or '10. Battery packs say 2010/Aug/01 not sure if that is the expiration or mfr date, either way the were discontinued in '14.

Looking at them now it looks like you have to install inserts and weights? I don't recall that being needed way back when but was 9-10 years ago so can't remember, just figured I would have had everything together.

I still have good boards, with a little sanding on my nock ID's I may be able to retrofit them in my "stock" nocks. Looks like the batteries are still the same, might try to order some replacement batteries first as $11 is cheaper than the $20+ per nock price. Not that they are not worth it, but I'll have 9 other brand nocks and have 4 Firenock circuit boards already that have never been used.

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  20. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve used green and red and I’m able to see the red much clearer in the daylight and night time. It helps to get the tool to shut off the nocturnal itself. My only downside of the nocks are that the metal collar on the inside that slides up and down can get bent. Feradyne outdoors is really good about sending you new ones if that does happen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Longdraw likes this.