Political venting

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Artem256, Jun 1, 2019.

1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think these problems can be boiled down much further than video games, music, etc...I think what we're seeing may be more of a consequence of population density and basic human spacial needs. When you stack livestock in too closely (mostly poultry) they start having serious issues with pressure and stress. Most poultry will fight and cannibalize if they do not have adequate space and these numbers are well known with poultry. Can you imagine anything more innocuous that a bobwhite quail? Yet if not provided enough space, bobwhites will absolutely and literally eat each other.

People, as with animals, have a perceived stress level that is tolerable, every individual varies in tolerance before they reach a breaking point. Lefties tend to be far closer to that breaking point than righties and that's why lefties tend to think through an emotional filter more than those on the right, that's their state of mind. That's likely why crime rates in cities are so much more prominent than more rural areas. I think that's indicative more to population density and stress than a shear ratio of more people more crime. Also likely why cities are mostly dominated by liberals/democrats.

Racks&Ridges likes this.
  2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said facts be damn when it comes to Idea Politics

Rural American Violent Crime is now above the national average for the first time in a decade, in some places it has shot up 50%. This is not a liberal vs conservative problem, it's an America problem.

3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's just because (assuming it's true...source?) the city pricks figured out crime is easier to commit if they go to rural areas. When I have someone steal cameras or break into a shed...it's always some a-hole from a local town or KC. Never caught one yet that wasn't a known democrat either.

Artem256 likes this.
  4. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think your right Greg. Not to say I think video games are to blame for the shootings. But I believe people are all affected and influenced by their surroundings.

So yeah, it’s probably not the healthiest thing mentally for young kids to be spending their time on. At the end of the day, it is up to the individual to decide whether or not they should be playing “violent video games.” It’s not the governments job to regulate it

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    GregH and dnoodles like this.
  5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2::lmao2:

6. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Say what ? A collection of cells ? Yeah a collection of cells with a heartbeat. Stop lying to yourself in trying to convince yourself. Heartbeat means LIFE. Modern technology has advanced enough to squelch Roe vs Wade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artem256 likes this.
  7. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a worldwide societal issue, not just American issue as other countries are experiencing the same/similar issues. While I will not say that video games, music types, etc are the sole reason for certain negative things in our society. I do believe they are but a few pieces of the 1500 piece puzzle.

I'm not going to get into all the different pieces. But, I'm sure we can all agree on a few things.

8. Tiny_MN

Tiny_MN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

People always look for the simple solution, and never want to start addressing to complex issues which cause them. More importantly, most are afraid to start with looking in the mirror.

Artem256 likes this.
  9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think ALLOT of this is to be on the parents plate.

Parents are allowing their kids to be fat,nerdy,lazy,sassy little bastards!!!!

Artem256 and WillO like this.
  10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is part of it.

Parents(not all, but a lot) don't want to raise kids. They want to make them BFF's and give them whatever makes them happy. I would be interested to know what the age gap is between the generations these days. I have classmates from highschool who are grandparents and have been for a couple years. Grandparents while in their 30's in some cases. Kids are being raised by Apple, Sony, Nintendo, Capcom(or whiever makes the games now :lol: ), Netflix and every other technological "nanny" company out there.

They wake up to get ready for school and want to get in a quick game, then they sit on their phones at the bus stops or ride to school. They get home and play games until its time to eat and then play games until bedtime where they probably lay in bed on their phones until they finally fall asleep.

Video games may not create violence. I think 1st person shooter games may give them a different perspective on the dangers of guns, but again that flows back to parenting and teaching them(not school).

My main complaint about kids and video games is it kills their social skills. Gone are the days of seeing 10-12 kids in a group riding their bikes around town or heading to the school yard/park/empty lot to play some football, baseball, kickball or any other group activity. Now when they see a classmate outside of school it's one or the other visiting most times to play video games. They are socially awkward at holiday get togethers, sitting miserably on the couch continually asking if they can go play x-box or PS4 now. If not doing that they are sprawled out on an ipad/tablet. They only want to spend the night at other peoples houses if they have the newest game or system and half the time end up calling late at night wanting to come home. They see chores as punishment rather than responsibility.

I don't know the ages of everyone that has chimed in on the subject here, but I guarantee if you are on this site you do not fit the demographic which some of us are alluding to.

@Shane0709 is probably one of the youngest members on the site. He could probably help educate all of us on today's youth from his perspective.

11. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Respectfully, this is not true. I'm a huge death metal fan. A recent study showed that we are not desensitized people.

beavertronic and Artem256 like this.
  12. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Violent crime overall is down in that same decade that rural crime as apparently gone up, despite increase last couple years. So is it a problem?

Not really disputing what you said, you're just only one that mentioned having facts instead of hearsay. So here's facts and the reason for quoting you.

Also just to add to discussion. The general consensus since this weekend has been as a whole we need to get back to more community and caring about others. So by that, can only assume the thought is that that has declined in the last 10 or 20 years, all the farther this report goes. By these numbers that doesn't seem to be the problem either. Meaning that if that was the case and "community" has been lost shouldn't there be a increase? There's a mirade of factors that contribute to these things happening and one thing being taken away or solved is gonna fix that.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2017/crime-in-the-u.s.-2017/topic-pages/tables/table-1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How old are you?

14. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 51. I've been a metal fan since I was nine. And yet, I'm a responsible adult, former marine, and professional in the community in a fairly high profile job.

I was stage front at this Cannibal Corpse show last November. (Columbia, SC)

I was stage front at this Deicide show on June 3rd (Durham, NC).

Artem256 and cls74 like this.
  15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, never stated it was a problem.

16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't anything meant by it :lol:

I've been listening to metal since Motley Crue was the newest band on the scene.

Sophmore year I did a class assignment where you had to pick a subject of choice and research it and write out an opinionated report. For the life of me can't remember what it was called, had to have footnotes siting sources and such. I chose the suicides of James Vance and Ray Belknap blamed on subliminal messaging in metal. Actually got a 97% grade on it, didn't have some footnotes that were needed, and had it pinned on the board for the week. It was one of the easier English classes, chose the same level class my Junior year, first day of class I walked in the door and she pointed to me and said "out". Made me take a higher level class :lol: I just wanted out of high school :lol:

w33kender likes this.
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha, 7 years(10 days from being 6) my elder so we grew up during similar times. Back when portable radios that were not "tape players" took 8-16 D cells :lol:

Most of my references when it comes to todays youth and growing up is it is all they knew.

They'll never know the struggles of pay phones, the poor quality of intelivision and Atari 2600, how the original Nintendo and Sega Genesis was like 4k TV today.

All of today's youth are what we would dub Silver Spoon kids, not Ricky Schroeder though :lol:

w33kender likes this.
  18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Ok

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dnoodles likes this.
  19. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My main chore was picking up dog chit from the yard.
    Every day after school. I didn't have a phone too take away but I had an ass that hated the belt!:whip:

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Had to do that too, dog was a black lab named Ruger.

Ignorant step dad kept him chained his whole life near an entry door for "protection". When he got loose he would disappear for days at a time.

I know now he was probably just not wanting to be chained anymore and only returned to get a meal.

Sota likes this.