Need some help on a thumb release.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Slugger, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking to make the switch from a wrist style release to a thumb trigger release. Anyone care to share their experiences with thumb trigger releases and what one you would recommend? Thanks.

2. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched about three years ago. I have been using the Tru Ball Max Pro 4. I purchased this one after a local pro shop let me test it out. I have seen my groups tighten up since switching even being able to achieve my first robinhood. They also are more comfortable for me to use rather than the wrist style release.

3. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the true ball fang 4 its a solid release and not badly priced I made the switch a few years ago and it took me a while to get the hang of it but once I got it I never looked back!

4. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a Hot Shot Vapor 4. It is very comfortable in the hand. So far it has been a solid release, I have about 100 arrows through it. I do however still prefer my Hot Shot Impetus wrist release.

5. doublea17

doublea17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from wrist to thumb about a year ago. Shot Spot Hogg Wise guy nice release and (want to get one as back up). For thumb I have own Nock 2 It, Stan SX3 , Carter Just Cuz and one lower end quality release that I can't remember name.that i got rid of. I would buy the best one you could afford
    the Stan SX3 medium is the one that I like best that works for me the other are good and still own them.

6. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting a Scott 4 finger release for the past two years. Absolutely love it for shooting targets but I missed hunting with a wrist strap so recently bought a Spot Hogg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting the thumb (not a hinge or back tension... Yet) for about 3-4 years. A lot of John Dudleys teachings and podcasts still apply.

Most pressure on middle and index fingers to minimize contact.

Consistent anchor point along the jaw + string on tip of noise + peep/sight housing

Don't pounce on the thumb, wrap your thumb on the trigger and pull through.

The last is the one I find myself falling on often.

8. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stan SX3 is amazing!

9. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i switched to the vapor 4 almost 2 years ago. I shoot better with it after a getting used to it phase.
    for me its easier to maintain consistent anchor point. that is the biggest pro of it to me, smaller pros are leaving it on the string while hunting so in lower light i dont have to look to try to get release on d loop.

i do however bring my old release with me to the stand in my bag never know when youll accidentally drop something and want a back up

10. Ty L

Ty L Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's good to hear. I am a fan of my vapor 4, I think that I just need to spend more time with it. I find I flinch a little when using it but that is not the releases fault, it's all user error. Just switching from a wrist release to a hand held takes some getting used to. I do love that I can leave it on the string while hunting.

11. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Test a bunch out.. I am on my 4th one and I think I am finally happy. The biggest piece of advice is go somewhere and learn the correct way to shoot the release. When I bought my first one I was still just operating the trigger when I thought it was time to shoot. Proper shooting technique paired with a good thumb release is key. Leave one of those 2 out and your not going to see any major improvements.

12. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help guys.

13. Firek920

Firek920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stan perfect x heavy metal. Durability it top notch and the amount of adjustment options to be set it aside from all others.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I made the switch 2 years ago. I had someone show me that actually uses one and it made a huge difference. It helped me work on holding the pin on target. The surprise of the release going all is really cool. I have a Scott Exxus 4 Finger. I love it. They don't make them anymore so I am looking for a backup.