First Western Trip

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by marshbanks12, Aug 3, 2019.

1. marshbanks12

marshbanks12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So it's quickly approaching, my first western hunting trip. I will be driving to Wyoming from Maryland in the third week of August. Spending 5 days with an outfitter chasing pronghorn with a bow. First time I'll be driving west of West Virginia (I've flown to the West Coast before). I've been shooting a ton and have gotten very confident at 40 yards and in. Anyone else have any trips planned or have hunted pronghorn before?

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a long haul. If you can try to extend your yardage to at least 50 yards. Besides hunting here at home I'm heading up to Idaho in September for 7 days to hunt with my son.
    Good luck and let us know how you do.

3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to Colorado last year for elk and mule deer. I also drove from Maryland. It is a very long drive! I also would suggest start practicing out past 60 yards. The west is very wide open and shot opportunity can come from longer distance. I missed a perfect opportunity because the bull stopped 8 yards past what I was comfortable shooting at. I wished I would pushed my practice another 10 yards out, then I would have had a dead elk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oldcarp likes this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out to New Mexico with the boomstick for elk and a muley. Cant wait, probably one of my last big game hunts with my dad, he's getting up there. I recently acquired a Winchester 1886 in .50-110 Winchester, it's a gift for my dad and I cant wait to surprise him with it.

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted pronghorn about 8 or 9 timesYou will sitting in blind over water in WY if you going with and outfitter. You point need rot shoot far. 20-30 yards at best. You might consider flying as it makes for an easy trip than a 24 hour ride. You can pack the Cape, bone out meat and horns in one cooler bag and not even pay an overage.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pulling the fifth wheel and making a stop in Colorado before heading back to Oklahoma. If any of y'all are ever driving through Oklahoma on your way to Colorado or New Mexico, I suggest getting off I-40 at Elk City, Oklahoma and taking OK highway 6 that turns into Texas 152 to Texas 87 and follow it all the way into Raton, New Mexico. Some damn scenic country.