Political venting

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Artem256, Jun 1, 2019.

1. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    debate.jpg

Artem256 likes this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Never said you were trying to solve anything, keep being classy.

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Aahhh the idiot politicians, emergency gun control . Hurry hurry because we can't take away parents baby sitters. Violent videos , tv shows and movies training these unstable people. Take away everyones guns so these nut jobs can start bombing places and or go on stabbing ,machete rampages. Well lets ban all knives and any and all chemicals, gun power, fertilizer. No wait we should ban all cars because we can see more mass killings by vehical.
    Give me a freaking break Wake the F up and realize the history of such acts to the increase in house bound gamers. Just look at the ages of these socially stunted individuals

ElkOhollic likes this.
  5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We all know nothing will change, one side will blame the other, one side will claim they are more virtuous and right then the other. The 24 hour news media will be in full swing, one side stating x and the other y. Social media like this site will argue. With folks making excuses to make themselves feel better. It’s the same script each time. The only thing changes is the number of people who die. Weather it’s gang related in places like Chicago or a senseless shooting.

It’s who we are now.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Swamp Stalker and Okiebob like this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    See why I avoid urban areas if at all possible?

Artem256, oldnotdead and ash d like this.
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you read the TX killers manifesto(alleged)?

He was not a sane person, see the previous posting about the OH killer.

IMO, when Van Spronsen acted out he inspired a lot of these killers to act.

The OH killer was able to purchase and own firearms even after all the clues were known. Another former student has stated he also once called in a bomb threat at the school. His juvenile records were sealed when he turned 18 so none of these things turned up in a NICS check. Things like that need changed.

I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of these people, and I'm also for keeping guns out of adults hands who have shown violent tendencies as minors.

What I'm not supportive of is restricting my rights to right some whacko's deed that has already been done.

There's a headline on CNN's website right now how a Chicago hospitals trauma center had to stop accepting patients due to all the gunshot victims. IL politicians want to punish me because of it. Chicago prosecutors let people off major charges in plea downs and turn these thugs back onto the street.

Case in point, they were given $1,000 bond with electronic monitoring. They should have been held without bond and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

https://abc7chicago.com/3-people-in...st-on-chicagos-south-side-police-say/5438164/

They complain about gun trafficking across state lines, yet when they catch a straw purchaser they let her go with a slap on the wrist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20170414/news/170419171/

Start enforcing laws already on the books, come up with new mental health criteria and then come to me with new laws that impede/infringe on the law abiding.

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what having a standard language has to do with the current political climate or mass shootings?

The world is a confusing and conflicted place these days. As "connected" as we all are, we're seemingly more isolated than ever. We've lost our sense of community, morality, self-respect, and respect for others. Our youth is rotting from the inside out, while those responsible for it (us - the parents & adults) act is if it's someone else's fault. We blame political parties, national leaders, social media outlets, bloggers, news media, video games, music, corporate america and everyone other than ourselves for the problems that we've created. The world truly has become a cartoon where, in the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "I blame everybody but myself."

We look at the massive amounts of information coming out about many of these mass shooters and everyone says "Yep, we knew he was going to do this." In spite of that wealth of information and signs pointing that these people were very troubled, nobody did anything about it. Sure - many say their hands were tied "legally". Maybe they tried reporting their odd behavior to the police or school administration, but when there was no legal recourse available, that's where it ended.

Do you think these people who "knew this was going to happen" tried to connect with them on a personal level to help them? Did anyone truly do anything that may have helped prevent them from committing these crimes? Talk to their parents? Talk to them? Try to befriend them or help them in any way? My guess is no, they did not. They watched from afar - snickering, judging, whispering, and fueling the problem.

This is where the fact that we no longer have a sense of community or togetherness is killing us. People would rather sit and text each other from within the same home or building than actually talk face to face. Many people don't know their neighbors. Parents ignore their children and leave them to be raised by their phones and the Internet. While being "raised by the TV" used to be a considered a bad thing in my youth, I'd much rather have my kids raised by Full House or The Fresh Prince than give them free access to everything that's available online today.

IMO the human species is not equipped to deal with information and civilization on the scale we have it today. The civilization we've built no longer requires us to rely on family, friends or neighbors for anything. The cracks we're seeing are only getting wider and no amount of federal legislation will turn this tide. In fact, it will likely only make it worse. Change needs to be enacted at the family & community level. If that doesn't happen, and chances are it won't, we'll continue to reap what we sow.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know their neighbor but spend hours on games linked up through headsets of people from who knows where doing who knows what.

I would not be surprised if some of the youth are not radicalized in this method

10. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well mostly its liberals, so yes.

11. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Might want to check the data on that one

12. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:The prisons are overflowing with liberals. Why do you think they want prisoners to be able to vote:lmao2:

13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate to say it but people were a lot more respectful when there was religion in schools. What, after age 8 everybody knew basic right from wrong. I'm sure the fear of God kept some from injuring or killing others. But that's gone now because nobody wants anyone to be offended.

14. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Really ? So you’re saying no chance they are registered Democrats??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think we need a single, large community that all speaks the same language. We need smaller communities with people that care for one another. If that means some speak different languages, so be it. There are plenty of non-English speaking communities in the US and most of them aren't churning out mass shooters the way our white, English-speaking suburbanites are.

My guess is that these people who don't speak English very well, or at all, have their own communities here within the US that provide them what they need. There is a strong Polish community where I live and many of them don't speak much English, yet all the ones I've met have seemingly been very nice, respectful, good people. While it may inhibit you from communicating with them if there's a safety concern,or you want to chat about the weather, that communication barrier isn't what's rotting our nation.

I believe that everyone living in America who is a citizen should make a passable attempt to speak English, but I'm not going to lose sleep about it if they don't. IMO we have much larger issues to face.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This

17. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lack of parenting is one of the main problems, along with prescription happy doctors, not the lack of being indoctrinated by mythologies.

arrowflinger1 and mikey custom-g like this.
  18. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boy I disagree with that. You have to start somewhere, language barriers are a real issue. If someone wants to be a US citizen then they should have to learn to speak english. However I do agree this is a ways away from the current gun issue at hand.

There are plenty of real issues that contribute but there will always be the mentally retarded weirdos that are going to randomly pop up and kill people, it's unavoidable and human nature. Just like there will always be bad parents. Some men just want to see the world burn to quote a movie reference.

19. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never said that.

I said I "doubt that" bc I dont believe people with severe mental illnesses should be used as political pawns when it comes to mass shootings. They don't represent those people they idolize, they are friggin seriously sick in the head. It is like blaming the parents of serial killers when their kids go rogue and they had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikey custom-g likes this.
  20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just say it. When you think of Democrat you think of blacks. Blacks make up about a third of the prison population in the United States. Whites about the same. So if you equate whites with Republicans then Republicans are overflowing the prisons as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk