Trip to Cabela’s...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JGD, Aug 3, 2019.

1. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stopped by Cabela’s this morning and was talking to the young salesman (early 20’s) in the archery department. About that time I got a text from a friend who was waiting on me to pick him up to go fishing. Told me to find him a crossbow while I was there. I asked the young guy what the best crossbow was that he had. He went on a little tirade about how he knows absolutely nothing about crossbows and would rather hunt with his .30-06 than a crossbow. I noted that we need to stick together as hunters as the number of hunters is decreasing nationwide. He said “Good!” There are too many hunters in Texas and Oklahoma (where he hunts). I told him that Oklahoma is a 2 buck state and that attracts hunters. Again I noted that if hunters decrease in number we lose the power to keep our rights to hunt. He said public land is crap because it’s overrun with people. I said it sounds like you hunt just private land and he agreed he did.

So I said let me get this straight. You want public land to go away because there are too many people hunting it and it’s not for you because it’s too difficult to hunt. So you want all those public land scoundrels to compete with you for leased land. You want to hunt over your feeders and kill plots because it’s easier and you despise crossbows because it’s too easy. Makes perfect sense. The kid looked like a deer in a spotlight. Clearly an over privileged young fella who hasn’t experienced enough of life to understand it’s not all about him. Hope someone close to him can make a difference.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  2. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if its a cabelas thing, The 2 people ive had "help" me in the archery department were...less than stellar. Both times ended up leaving without spending a penny when I was planning on spending a bit more, that is not something that happens often

JGD likes this.
  3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously he didn't know about the Pittman-Robertson Act. I have hunted public land. Yep, a treestand in every other tree! Yeh, right? I'm a Hunter Education instructor in Tennessee; started in 2000. The number of people, especially kids, taking the classes has dropped like a rock. I have had up to 125 students. Now I'm lucky to have 40. My last class for the online material had 18 with 3 no-shows. A friend cancelled a class due to lack of students. Anyone who hunts should be concerned.

dstouffer, JGD and Kfili like this.
  4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago I stopped asking people for help with my bow. Only thing I need help with is someone putting on a new string. Got tired of all the egos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kfili, JGD and grommel like this.
  5. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not talk to people at Cabelas, if they were as special as they act they would not be working retail at Cabelas.

Swamp Stalker and WillO like this.
  7. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    BB53B4C6-290F-40E3-BB05-2D95CE37E279.gif

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First bow I bought at cabelas, I took it to my local bowshop. Best decision I ever made I would have been a frustrated archer otherwise. Cabbalas had installed my peep backwards, and the general set up of the bow sucked.

9. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed!! Well said!

10. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The clerk at Cabelas has no public/customer relations skills whatsoever. You don't criticize a customer's questions or interests FFS.

Kfili and JGD like this.
  11. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Working in Mankato till the end of Sept, in Texas Cabelas is a food group, (full agreement on staff issues) but I gotta say never herd of Scheells but they have a great bow section, and pretty sharp help,
    Obsession,Mathews, Hoyt, never seen those at Cabelas.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scheels comes from up north and I’m excited about the new one soon opening near us. I am concerned about the northern stores coming south though. Gander mountain moved in about 15 years ago and had a huge fishing section loaded with trout, walleye and pike lures. This is striper, bass, catfish and crappie country. The manager said everything was ordered out of “corporate”, and he had no input. I suggested he let corporate know he was 10 miles from one of the most awesome striper lakes in the country. Two years later they got some striper gear in and they couldn’t keep it on the shelves. A year later they took the striper section out. The store is now closed along with a bunch of other GM stores. Hope Scheels does their research; I like their stores.

13. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have run in to plenty of people like that. Being from Maine and only 23 I am one of the younger bow hunters I know. Maine is not really a bow hunting state but I take complete advantage of it. A lot of Maine is open to the public but not good for bow hunting. So I grew up hunting that portion because of where I lived and only recently got into bow hunt, where you're more apt to hunt public or private land with permission. I have tried to get my friends and other people into bow hunting but no one wants to put in the time and effort. I even have told various friends I would let them use my stands and have showed them good bucks I have had (which is the only time they want to hunt with me) on camera. It seems as though because bow hunting is more intrusive and more involving (comparing tree stand hunting with a bow to a gun) it results in it being harder for the type of people who just want to have it handed to them.

JGD and Frankiecruzer like this.