Let’s get this party started boys!!!!’

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 21, 2019.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What he said! Move the rest right like. As far as the height not as big a deal but it does look low. Definitely needs to be at least level and in fact, some setups will tune best with nock just slightly higher then the rest, not much - no more than like 1/32 - 1/16. I don't think nock height would cause the kind of side to side you were getting, but the off center rest definitely could.

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Turn the vane up. Is a drop away supposed to be down or something? I always had it 180 from your pics with the cockvane or whatever up rather than down.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbow goes down, whisker biscuit doesn't matter but I always put it up.

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    IDK, my rest was a far rightas it could go and I was still getting tears to the left 1 1/2"-2". I'm done messing with it. just going to bring it to the shop.

5. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Nock low could cause that, rest dropping too late could too. Try shooting cock vane up, see if you're still getting issues. That red mark on the arrow shelf. Did you do the lipstick on your arrow vanes and somethings making contact with the shelf to?

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't even see that! That has to be from the red vane.

7. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot cock vane up and I think its the most common way for most people who shoot drop away, but ive heard it isnt supposed to matter if everything is set up alright. I shoot a trophy taker limb driven drop away and the arrow rest part on it is more like a really wide V shape than the tall U shape of the QAD so that could make a difference for you since the hen fletchs might have issues with hitting the sides of the rest if theyre pointing down

8. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look at your rest, you can still move the launcher to the right. Take out the two screws and move it to the right one hole.

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always shot cockvane up as well, but I've never used a dropaway rest either. I thought maybe he was so used to putting it down from the crossbow he was doing it accidentally here.

That's why I let the shops do all the tuning and set up. I get frustrated and end up snapping a bolt or something :lol:

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  10. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also your rest should have come with a spacer that allows you to move it over even further. Right where the screwdriver is pointing.

Attached Files:

11. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I am starting to think that the horizontal alignment of the rest may not actually be the biggest problem. The only way I can imagine that the bottom facing cock fletching would hit your arrow rest and then 1/4" further down the path of the arrow one of the hen fletchings, which was facing up initially, is now hitting the bottom of the arrow shelf is that the cock fletch is making so much contact that its violently rotating the arrow around a full 100 or so degrees in like 1/4-1/2".

12. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I mean from the looks of that mark on the rest in your picture its completely dropped down and you are still getting some really significant fletch contact.

13. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Holy Smokes Batman !!!

You need to stop right there.

Who put the rest on ? Was it just attached ?

Take the rest off. Go to a shop and locate your center punch and bring an arrow or two and have them level your bow in a vice, with a laser, set your rest with the arrow laying on it. Adjust your pins on your sight to be inline with the arrow as well. That’s a better starting point. You are in the ozone. Even if you were torquing the bow it would not throw an arrow basically sideways like you’ve got.

Not sure who set your bow up ? My advice is never allow them into the zip code of your bow again. They need to be taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about this too. This scuff mark seems to run diagonally.

I want to believe he's not torque the cams. [​IMG]

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is an alien set screw that may need to be loosened to adjust...

16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^safest and likely, best bet

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If has helical offset vanes couldn't that cause the arrow to spin and create the diagonal look?

I've never set up a bow, but love problem solving. Guess it is the mechanic in me :lol:

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  18. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Going to be able to get to the bow shop tomorrow morning!

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good possibility.

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Still can't find my release so haven't shot it yet. Pulled it back at work and didn't feel anything abnormal with my shoulder. Feeling good about it and taking the crossbow to work for a potential sell and recoup costs next week.

So a bit of a back story. I deer hunted back in high scool, kinda, but definitely didn't have a "mentor". Was given a smooth bore shortened barrel shotgun with rifled slugs that my, at the time, step dad had just drilled and JB welded a bb type site to the end of the barrel 3 days before leaving. No sighting in, nothing. Literally missed a doe at 10 yds, from the ground(he was a slob and I was too young to know better.

I gave it up after that, until probably 1999 when I got permission from my uncle to hunt his land.

I had bought an old Bear Whitetaill II for $75 from a guy at work and took it to the shop to have a sight and rest installed. Never touched a bow other than a kite string type fiberglass. Got it to where I could hit the target consistently within a "pie plate". Went and bought a cheap hang on and a bunch of screw in ladder steps. To make a story short, asked where I should hang a stand and uncle gave me a tree, hung it and on his advice hunted it that evening. Had a doe and two fawns literally 15 yds away and the shotgun incident kept me from attempting a shot. Hung it up again until 2007 firearm season.

Bought and sighted in a shotgun and finally took my first deer, a buck even, and was hooked. He said bring my bow, didn't have one, and hunt anytime.

Had a bow by December but knowing nothing about them googled ready to shoot bows and found Hunters Friend and took the chance over Cabelas. Haven't used anyone else since other than when I got my release that was attached to my string wrapped up the bottom cam pulling it back fingers. Which ironically enough led me to the previous hunting.net(?) site that predated BH.C.

This is my third bow through them and I just have to fine tune the pins to my shooting. First was a PSE Stinger, 2nd a Bear Attack and bow an Obsession HB33.

Each one they give you the specifics and performance with the tuning paper. Here's my current bows.

I'd love to do it all myself, but don't really have the time with my job and hours.

20190731_185243.jpg