Camera mega pixels

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Jul 27, 2019.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight on camera mega pixels. Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to the day time and night time quality (mega pixels). Say if the camera says it’s 20 mega pixels I understand that’s day time in ideal conditions. Is there anyway to figure out what it may be (close to) at night. I was looking at Moultries new cell camera and it says it’s 20 mega pixel and I emailed them and asked what it would be at night and the answer I got was they don’t currently have a mega pixel scale for night time pics. Just trying to see if there’s anyway to figure that out. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn good question. Now I’m curious.

JHasty likes this.
  3. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got some very clear pictures at night with a 12mp Moultrie camera made in 2016. Never had an issue at night with it.

JHasty likes this.
  4. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Russ I have seen some cameras that are 10 and 12 mega pixels and they say night/low light pics are 3 ,5, etc mega pixels so I was wondering if night time mega pixels were 1/2, 1/4, etc of whatever the day time pics would be. Just trying to figure out how the camera companies calculate or figure out what the night pics will be compared to the day and you would think since Moultrie is such a big company and have so many cameras on the market they would be able to immediately tell you the mega pixels/quality of a night time pic but maybe I’m just a average guy over thinking it lol

5. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20mp during day and 20mp at night. The camera’s megapixels stay the same. The quality is due to the light gathering capability of the camera itself. The better the IR emitters and the camera’s shutter speed the better the picture or video. I use Stealth Cam 8MP 30IR Game Camera and they take very clear 8mp pics/video day and night, snow and rain.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

JHasty likes this.
  6. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input BuckHunterUnlimited. That makes sense. I appreciate the help!!!

7. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    JHasty likes this.