Talk about a headache!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Kfili, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I closed on my first house on Monday (woohoo!) Its a really nice house, took us forever to find, had to put an offer in the day it hit the market and we were one of 4 offers. We spent most of Monday after the close painting and when we came back Tuesday morning we were greeted by the sound of water rushing through the basement ceiling. Ruined the upstairs flooring in kitchen. living room and dining room (as well as dry wall) and ruined downstairs ceiling flooring and maybe walls.
    Since we just closed on the house the homeowners policy had just went into effect so the claim is for the very next day and they have to put the claim under investigation which makes everything go slower....
    Really put a downer on our excitement over the new house-but I am confident everything will work out ok and we will be just fine!

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kevin I'm sorry to hear that happened. Get it fixed asap. My last house had all metal pipes and they were constantly bursting bc they hung the pipes wrong and they were old. Lots of problems. I spent a lot of time ripping them out and putting in PVC. Made a world of difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man, that’s a bummer! Hopefully it all works out for ya

4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What was determined to cause the flood? Neighbor had some brand of plastic pipe that was defective and cracking. Cost a fortune to have all it removed and replaced. Don't know if he sued the manufacturer or the outcome. Maybe compensation for him?

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hhhmmm no way to say his with out unintentionally sounding sarcastic...Welcome to home ownership.
    Seriously sorry for your flooding. Water is a real,well rhymes with itch,been there in different ways several times. Glad it happened under the policy,hold firm with them.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to kick the inspector that went thru the house before you bought it right in the nuts. You now have a house you can not move into and you are out a deductible.

7. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Busted pipes don't always show in an inspection, unless they are already leaking which is a dead giveaway. I bought a new water heater and it leaked the day it was installed. Called the plumber; exchanged it and installed another. No problems since.
    The flood happened Monday night after they left and found it Tuesday morning. So...the flood occurred during the night.

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kevin....here is a story for you that might help ease the pain. My wife and I were moving into our 2nd house. We were so happy. Well as I am moving a piece of heavy furniture into the basement I trip and drop that thing right on the main water line pipe....shears the son of a gun right in half and water starts pumping into our new basement like a fire house. We scrambled around to turn off the breakers but the damage had been done...water everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    yea this was definitely an interesting entrance into homeownership! There was a water line running to the fridge that someone pulled out and capped-but never turned off the valve. So the water was pushing against the cap and it busted sometime in the night and flooded. Thankfully insurance is covering-so far. had servpro out today to start ripping up the place to dry out and prevent any mold.