Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol
    I need cheaters to thread the machine! Though the real issue is the proper tension top and bottom. That took me a long time. Not sure if it was the heavy duty thread , the heavy material or both. Once that was done(lots of scrap material used up) it went smoother than I thought it would.
    Hubby has been ery sceptical about this but he looked it over and said thats well made and offered to wear it so I could get pics. I told him once I get the lining sewn in. Then I'll post those.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I made one from the seat of a Hawk Hangout Seat. I replaced the post with a 12" piece of T-6061 aluminum that is 1.25" x 1.25" with 1/8" thick wall. I bought brackets, end caps and a cam over strap from www.doublesteps.com. Cost me about $75 with shipping. The platform is mounted 4" from the top of the post.

https://doublesteps.com/product/platform-post-bracket-1-1-4/

https://doublesteps.com/product/platform-cam-over-strap-hd/ x 2

https://doublesteps.com/product/platform-post-end-cap/ x2

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...eg-hangout-tree-seat/3000/p-1486711144053.htm

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy...tube-6061-t6-extruded-radius-corner/pid/23685

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    S.McArthur likes this.
  3. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    The straps in the pictures are not the ones on it now. That is the original ratchet strap that came with the Hawk Hangout. It did not work. I will try to post better pictures later. This is just what I had on my phone.

IMG_5980.JPG
    IMG_5981.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, any issues with the platform edges and slippage? (Like wet/snow/icy boots slippage). I cut up an old Walmart lock on and it is decent enough for the back yard, but I need to get it assembled better. It feels heavy but when weighed, it's only 3-4lbs if I remember correctly. I read some threads about using a mobility scooter footrest as well.

5. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I am just getting into saddle hunting and this is my first attempt at a DIY platform. I haven’t tried it bad weather but I have 15 feet up a tree in my backyard without issues.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    S.McArthur likes this.
  6. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Watched all the vids, I've definitely got to say there's just too much going on there with your system holding you in the trees. IMHO there is already too much crap I have to maneuver while bow hunting. In my younger days I'd jump all over it. I really like the idea that there is much less stuff to get into the woods, with that being said I'm a bit spoiled as I hunt my own property so I do not have to worry about carrying anything into the woods, that being said anyone and anything that facilitates hunting I say go for it. Tree saddle just aint for me

7. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Timed myself tonight. I’m still a little clunky with, but getting more efficient with each climb. I got to the tree, took my backpack off which has my sticks strapped to them and my sit drag/rc harness inside. I checked the time on my phone, 4:57. Popped the sticks off my pack threw my sit drag on. Put my first stick up and proceeded to go up the tree. Got my rig of steps up after my third stick. Tethered off, let off my lineman’s rope. Put my Paracord with loops tied in it to hang stuff off of, hung my back pack up. Checked my phone. 5:04. I love it, I’m I really quite with it, unlike the summit open shot I had. I actually feel safer with this than I did the open shot. Can’t wait until October!

cantexian likes this.
  8. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I finally took some shots out of the saddle at hunting height, 4 arrows within 3 inches wasn't too bad. I really like it but I may be too much of a "sitter" to use all the time. I should have been doing all these things over the summer but life has been insanely busy, I can't believe it's already almost August.
    To do list:
    I really need to go up/down the tree with my sticks to get the system down.
    I really need to get a platform, I may just chalk up the $$ to buy the predator platform, I don't want to but I don't have the time to DYI something.
    I need to add some pouches to store gear on my saddle
    I need to figure out how to pack/carry my sticks; the stock LW strap does not hold them tight enough. I've never used sticks, so this is also a first.
    Need to rig up my strap to hold my gear in the tree. I have an idea, just need to put it together.
    Need to dig out some knee pads.

Need to shoot, and shoot some more, and get my butt used to being in a saddle. I believe I have my tie off spots set, I'll keep messing with them to adjust comfort.

9. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Here’s what I’m going to use for a strap to hang stuff from, I just need to buy one of those big poly nite-Ize carabiners and take one latch off to hand my bow from and I just bought some more carabiners to hang other stuff from. Really all I ever have is my binoculars, a range finder, and my back pack. [​IMG]
    It’s just a piece of para cord with loops tied in it and I use a cheap carabiner to attach two loops around the tree.

I bought a pouch at menards to put my tether and gear loop hangly dangly in. I got the hook at Lowe’s and I hook my second and third sticks on to it via para cord [​IMG] [​IMG]

After three or four practice goes it felt less clunky. Just getting used to where everything was at and what order made a huge difference. I’m using a ring of steps, and the first two runs I got up to high and tethered off, but still didn’t have my ring if steps up. Now, I know when I put the last stick up to put the ring of steps about 2’ higher and then get settled in.

S.McArthur likes this.
  10. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    If you’re interested in a ring of steps like this, pm me. You may have to come up with a ratchet strap end though;)[​IMG]

11. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I may take you up on that, I ordered the predator platform too. I have been debating a setup like those but not sold on the design yet. I feel like I'd prefer a platform style setup. Tethrd didn't mention any back order on the platform, hopefully it's here by the weekend.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Those are the type of hooks I'm looking for, I want to use the straps from my old walmart stick ladders stands and slide the hooks in. Cheap, easy to setup, and if they can support a ladder stand, they'll support my bag and bow.
    I'm also close to an Army post, so i can score dome dump pouches cheap. All of my magazine pouches are full and in use, so I'll have to go pick a few up.
    If you are looking for a specific style military molle/etc. pouch, let me know and I'll keep an eye out when I go to the surplus store.

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I sold my hang-on and sticks that I didn't like. Picked up a set of Hawk Helium Sticks to use. Hoping to get some practice in tonight or Thursday. Saturday is my wife's birthday so my weekend will be focused on that rather than hunting stuff.

14. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Did a test run: 6:38 to get up the tree, no platform, just 4 sticks up. I really need to practice and figure these things out.
    Did some funky position shots, not too shabby, still feels weird trusting a couple pieces of rope to keep me in the tree.
    The more time spent in it, the more I like it.

cantexian, Holt and slickbilly-d like this.
  15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it, definitely will get easier and become second nature. It took me a full season to really feel comfortable with the whole setup. The 2nd season for me felt like I've been doing it my whole life! It only gets better and better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

S.McArthur likes this.
  16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Got in a little practice Saturday morning. About 18 feet up in my back yard. Took about 30 shots at around 16 yards. The downhill slope of the yard makes so I am more 25 feet with the shot angle.

IMG_6248.JPG IMG_6242.JPG IMG_6246.JPG

slickbilly-d likes this.
  17. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I was also taking shots in my saddle Saturday afternoon :chewy:[​IMG]

18. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Well fellas, I'm getting quicker up a tree. I haven't timed it but I think I have my method figured out. I believe I have my system to haul my 3rd/4th stick up without interfering or clanking as I climb, I need to try it in some low light conditions but it is working so far. It's just so damn hot/humid that I'm pouring sweat within 5 min of practice.
    Still waiting on my platform and still working out the packing/carrying method. Overall, I'm getting really comfortable climbing in the saddle, I still do not have a lot of time at hunting height, but I feel like a monkey going up/down the tree; I can adjust on the fly by muscle memory now.
    To do list:
    Get platform time (on back order, I guess they don't have the straps yet)
    Silence climbing sticks
    Find new backpack; my old one is...well...old and falling apart.
    More hunting height shooting, I've been shooting from 60 yards on the ground, 30 from tree.
    Put hunting gear on and practice climbing/setup; too damn hot
    Get cool guy poses in saddle, post to social media

cantexian likes this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Did a camo paint job on my Helium sticks. I think turned out pretty well. The pic is from 10 yards and 20 yards.

IMG_6262.JPG

IMG_6260.JPG

slickbilly-d and oldnotdead like this.
  20. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    I also like the built in bow holder on the JX3 hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk