Hunting urban deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Maine Hunter, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My experience, they don't respond the same to initial scents, sounds, etc until they have associated it with danger. I used to have a few small urban spots I would go sit and see a bunch of deer. Eventually I realized I didn't need to be in those spots until the end of October when the cruisers started. Anything earlier then that I was just "conditioning" deer. It went from me having no worries I could literally get there slam all of my doors scare everything away and they would come back. In moderation I think you can get away with a lot more hunting urban deer.

Maine Hunter likes this.
  2. Maine Hunter

Maine Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely, I feel like it is because they are used to it all. All the noise, scent, commotion. It's a different type of hunting compared to the bucks that are deep in the woods. I agree with you on the fact that they come back, its almost like they initially are spooked and then calm down and come right back.

pick00l likes this.
  3. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Suburban Bowhunter by Seek One productions on YouTube. They haven't had new content in a while so not sure if they are still actively filming, but they shoot some absolute giants in suburban Atlanta. The lengths they go to get permission is pretty spectacular and the size of the lots and number of trail cams they run to pattern deer is ridiculous. A new level of obsession.

Maine Hunter and TheHardWoods913 like this.
  4. Maine Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats funny you bring that up, I have actually watched a lot of their videos as well as "The Hunting Public", its unreal what some people will do and the time they put in. Makes me feel like I'm slacking even though I'm constantly scouting!

5. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They just started posting again on FB. New episodes are probably coming shortly.

Maine Hunter likes this.
  6. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Urban archery season is an interesting concept. My understanding is that if your city supports is then you hunt the extended time frame, so considering I live on 77 acres here in NC my address says I live in the city, but I'm out in Ag land. Now my city does not support it but if it did I suppose all it would be for me is a longer bow season. Considering I'm physically not in the city that would be a plus. Some land owners around the surrounding counties get to take advantage of this regulation. Thats my take on it. Anyone please correct me if my understanding is wrong

Maine Hunter likes this.
  7. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All three shot in urban areas of Western PA. a few of the spots I can smell the coffee brewing. Last buck was my first self filmed harvest.

Attached Files:

8. Maine Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Those are great bucks! I've wanted to get to Pennsylvania to hunt for a few years now, I always see big bucks being taken there!

Pops423 likes this.
  9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt both "urban" spots and larger tracts of ag type properties. My personal property is urban and it is almost like an entire beast I'm hunting.

They are hundred percent different. I went into it thinking these deer were gonna be so easy....I can definitely say some aspects are but some are incredibly harder though.

Let's tackle the easier aspects IMO:

-They are more tolerant of human air scent. Think about it...their day to day activities probably NEVER occur without human air scent of some kind (even vehicle odors if nothing else).

-Depending on time of year and setting, predictability "can" be easier. Only so many areas exist for activities like bedding and/or food as well. Now you will learn quickly urban deer will move and utilize smaller or different spots that your large ag or woods property deer don't do.

Now the harder attributes:

-these deer I swear have an elevated reaction to touch scents. Ground scent where it normally isn't will explode the deer asap in my experience on my property. Entrance/Exit trails are already the most vital part of hunting anywhere for me, but here it is insane high priority.

-They have an elevated level of interpreting intent. Can I in the off season get deer to watch me while I do things....YUP...it was extremely odd and new to be working with a deer watching me 100 yards away. If they interpret and see the intrusion they know for a fact it seems you're safe and aren't threatened. Incredible.

*The above is speaking to the mindset of the mature deer. 2.5 year old bucks and younger for most part are usually incredibly dumb and arguably more dumb in urban spots....just last week I moved a gate 15 feet from a yearling 8 pointer in velvet lol

10. Mlavigne78

Mlavigne78 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s probably the urban spot I hunted, but to me that was the easiest place to get good bucks close. Also a lot more mature bucks in that area than my rural farms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maine Hunter likes this.
  11. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Urban/suburban deer are absolute masters of knowing when humans are a threat, and when they are not. They seem to have a way of knowing our intent, just like how animals on the plains are not afraid of lions until the lion is on the hunt, then they run away.

Maine Hunter likes this.
  12. Pops423

Pops423 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

Maine Hunter likes this.