Fixed Broadhead VS Mechanical Broadhead (Whitetail)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Seaves, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to hunting and will be hunting white tail this season. I have a 75 pound draw bow and have fixed and mechanical broad heads. Does anyone have recommendations on which one I should use?

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh crap.., and here we go.... AGAIN!!:deadhorse:

My take is, there is NO reson to use ANY mechanical head.
    EVER!

biscuit and BSS like this.
  3. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Reason to never use mechanical? (Just curious as the reason to help expand my knowledge)

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like mechanical heads in some situations. Open county mule deer, pronghorn, and caribou come to mind. Or anyplace in wide open windy conditions.
    I am not a fan of them for whitetails from a treestand due to steep angles, known distances and generally close shots. I think a moderate sized fixed blade head is better choice and more likely result in an exit hole.
    If you do choose a mechanical make sure you have enough arrow weight to push through. 500 plus is ticket...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Suncrest08 likes this.
  5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much I like to stack as many odds in my favor and limit my equipment to things that won’t/can’t/or have the opportunity to fail. Mechanical heads are just another thing that could potentially fail, (not deploy, open in flight, open if deflected before impact etc.) but not likely to. Fixed blades are always out and give ME the most confidence. I have used mech heads in the past and they really open the deer up, but I have excellent blood trails with my slick trick mags and 9 outa 10 times when I do my part on shot placement the deer dies in site. It all comes down to what YOUR confident using. I have no prob with mechanical heads I just prefer fixed. Shooting 75lbs you don’t have to worry about KE so mechs should work fine for you, (without knowing your arrow weight and other specs) Main thing is tune your bow properly and don’t just use mech heads because you can’t tune your bow to shoot fixed heads with your Field Tips, if your getting all you can outa your bow you’ll be fine. Have fun and don’t overthink it! People used to kill with a sharpened stone!

6. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all so much I appreciate it!!

7. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use muzzy phantom or muzzy trocars, have both in my quiver and no real preference to either but you can’t beat a good fixed blade such as the phantom in my opinion.

8. BSS

BSS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    "If your hunt hinges on a broadhead, don't use a broadhead that hinges." Yes, the blood trails are better and the tuning is usually easier with the mechanicals. But, your new to hunting so 20 yards and in should be your focus. A well placed shot and proper wait time after should net you your game. Muzzy MX-3 has been my choice for longer than I can remember. Good luck.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What does your arrow weigh? Go around 475 grain or higher and Muzzy hybrids trocars are awesome, no blade retention and is deployment failure is not possible. Some will say mechanicals can not handle bone, that is BS with the proper set up.

10. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both fixed and mechanical. I’m shooting a 475g arrow, 28.5” draw, 70 lbs. Both have their place

11. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Help us out. What heads do you have? What are you hunting? I’m a fixed blade guy, but you can shoot what you want. I’d tell you to pick up some SlickTrick heads and don’t look back. IF your bow is properly tuned, they’ll fly like field point out to 50 yards. The only reason I’ve seen for a mechanical head is a poorly tuned bow.
    I have ViperTricks and Iron Wills again this year. The IWs will be making the trip to Wyoming this year.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  12. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get caught up in what everyone else is shooting, pick a head that gives you the most confidence in being able to get a quick clean harvest.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And how do you propose one should pick that head when they have no experience to draw on?

14. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Practice with each style and which ever one he likes or thinks grouped better, roll with it.

15. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Under normal whitetail hunting, there is ZERO reasons to shoot a mech head.
    I don't shoot for the gutts but if I did, maybe I'd think twice?
    Sure hate watching a hunting show watching a deer run off with 1/2 the arrow sticking out of it:confused:

I've been in on hundreds and hundreds of bowkills/ tracking.
    Sure, a close broadside shot with a mech head can leave a great blood trails, so what?, That same shot with a fixed will leave the deer just as dead in the same distance.
    I've shot about 50 bear with plain old Muzzys. They never failed to open, and 9 outta ten make it 25-30 yards and are dead.
    Have been sitting with people who shot them with mech heads , made great shots but half penentration leading to long trails and no recovery.
    I'm a simple man but I notice things.
    There will never be a mech head in my camps again.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Mr.O likes this.