New to hunting (Tennessee

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Seaves, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am new to hunting altogether (bow or rifle hunting) and am looking to start now hunting until rifle season opens. I am looking for public lands that are not big game quota hunts in Tennessee. I’m looking at Chickasaw National Wildlife Refuge, Natchez Trace State Park and Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park. Does anyone have any experience in this area or any other public lands they could recommend in TN?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, although I don't know Tennessee few free to post any question you may have.

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a TN hunting education instructor and bid you welcome. Have you taken a hunter education course in Tennessee? I think you need to show an HE class in another state. You will need that before you can get a license if you were born on or after January 1, 1969. Go to www.tnwildlife.org for information by clicking on "Hunters" for the HE courses offered- traditional 11 hour class or take an online class and attend a Field Day. You will also find a truckload of information on WMAs and other places open to the public. Any license dealer should have the printed hunting guidelines booklet. Good and safe hunting!

4. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! Yes I completed my Hunters Education Course in Wisconsin (I just moved to Tennessee and completed it before I left). I will continue to look up locations and appreciate the support!

WillO likes this.
  5. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    I see that the list of hunting areas is west Tennessee. I live in the other end. As I mentioned, the TWRA website is a good source to start with for your area. Hang on- let me check on something.
    This is interesting as it breaks down the hunting in TN. https://hunterstoolbox.gooutdoorstennessee.com/
    Wander through the TWRA website. I think you will find a lot of useful information for hunting and fishing. I have been affiliated with TWRA for 19 years and find them to be helpful in many ways.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    WillO likes this.
  6. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, this is perfect! I found all the places I posted on the TWRA website and was just looking for personal experiences or recommendations on the areas. I am brand new to hunting and fishing; and none of my friends or family do either so I am having to self teach everything. Because of this I am trying to get the most knowledge possible before I start :)

7. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Can't help you with western Tennessee as I live and hunt on the other end. I have some contacts with TWRA. I'll see what I can dredge up. Might be a hunting club or shooting range that might be a starting place for you. BTW, I have two grandsons who are getting into hunting and shooting.

8. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate all the help again. It's a bit intimidating getting into it without guidance but this and literature to read helps a lot!

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've read allot, listened to many and watch most of the crap out there. Best advise is learn by hunting... Every chance you get and LEARN from your mistakes. After a while you can begin to learn from others mistakes to but if you are like me you have years before that gem kicks in.

10. John T.

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't heard from my friend. He is HE Coordinator and Boating Safety Coordinator. I would think he is busy with boating classes and, hopefully not many, boating accidents.

11. Seaves

Seaves Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I am very excited to learn from experience. Just waiting for small game season to open to start hunting and then deer season eventually :bow: