Question for Sitka owners

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Feb 24, 2019.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if my problems stem from my being old or just dumb. But when I look at anything on the Sitka website I just get confused. I'm wanting to know what the best or most versatile hoody is in the Sitka line. When I say that I'm talking about what is the warmest and can be used best with other pieces. Thanks all!

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the fanatic hoody and is my favorite piece! It stands alone in early season, but isn't the most abrasion resistant in the sleeves. It is great for layering. It will be good down to about 60 degrees, after that i will put a jacket on. I always wear just it to the tree no matter the temps, then layer up at the tree. The equinox hoody just came out last year and been hearing good reviews. That will be my next buy for me. If you have any specific questions on the fanatic, just ask away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Suncrest08 likes this.
  3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree the fanatic is a good hoody, it’s not warm but works good for laying and alone early season. I really like the equinox hoody, but still will be finding myself always wearing the fanatic.

Holt likes this.
  4. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also have the fanatic hoody and it's outstanding. Great layering piece.

5. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fanatic hoody is great. I wear it pretty much all year whether as an outerlayer during early bow or an underlayer as the temperatures drop. It's downright comfortable and right now you can pick them up on sale (if $100+ is on sale for a sweatshirt). The core heavyweight hoodys are pretty equal to the fanatic in terms of warmth just with less features and annoying high collar. The Dakota hoody is awesome but geared towards waterfowlers, and is quiet noisey. In terms of wind stopping and warmth, its tough to beat. And the last hoody I can speak on is the traverse cold weather hoody. Very warm and can be an outerlayer or underlayer. Fabric is not as quiet as the fanatic but definitely quieter than the Dakota. It has a full length zipper which I like for easier removal in the stand.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  6. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention the Kelvin Hoody. By far the warmest hoody available with Primaloft. Also features a full zip. The fabric is noisey as an outerlayer, especially when it is cold and not the most durable. Much too noisey to bow hunt. However as an underlayer it would be just fine for archery. It packs down into nothing and is great for late season.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on what you want to do with it. Like others have said, the Fanatic Hoodie is very hard to beat for a multi purpose, multi condition piece.

8. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking for more warmth (versus the Fanatic Hoody) but also versatile you might consider the Stratus Jacket.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only just started wearing sitka last fall but I picked up then equinox hoody and then during the late season added the stratus vest. The hoody alone worked great during the early season. Didn't pick up the vest until mid November. It helped out alot when temps dropped or on widny days. Used the fanatic lite bibs for bottoms.

Those are only pieces I have experience with but they worked well for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have any of the whitetail line, I chose to go full open country as I thought it would work well both out west and in a tree.

I have the Jetstream which I am wearing in the field 90% of the time. Pair it with a Kelvin Lite hoodie and I'll go for half day sits down to the 40s or so just fine.

Almost can't go wrong with sitka, if you buy something you'll find a use for it and love it, regardless if it was the use you thought it'd be! I bought the incinerator for late season hunts and found out it works great laying on my back in a frozen field hunting snow geese in the spring.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Went to an outdoors store today and saw some Sitka stuff. Holy hell it is expensive. Darn jacket was like $400! Camo spandex was like $120. The deer don't even see your underwear so who in the hell would pay $120 for some camo long johns?

OkieArrowSlinger likes this.
  12. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka base layers leave a lot to be desired so I hear. I agree no need for camo base layers. Their outerwear is very pricey, but you can find it on sale and in Like new condition on the web at a great discount. Its top quality gear, best I have owned and I have tried a lot of companies. I’m not a fan of Ev2 pattern, I feel like I stick out in the tree compared to Realtree or mossy oak, but it’s just my observation. Deer don’t seem to mind.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka core bases are nice peices if your looking for synthetics. Warm for their weight and breath well moveing moisture away from you. They hold their own in the stink department as well with the polygene treatment.

Dubbya likes this.
  14. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have two fanatic hoodies(needed one black for in the blind)...they are great as a layering piece and I love the built in face mask. My only gripe is that the forearms fit too tight. I am not a huge muscular guy...just your average joe forearms. When I am hunting or when you have the thumbs in the thumbholes I don't notice it as much, but it is annoying after wearing a few hours. I think about switching up to the equinox or going with a first lite hoodie.

15. Hunter's Gear Guide

Hunter's Gear Guide Newb

Dislikes Received: