The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shouldn't you start a LFTS 2019 thread??!!

mikey custom-g likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, if BHO had done it I would probably be criticising him for legitimizing that homicidal retard.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Are you kidding me only 2 Twins on the all star team? Snubbed.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just spoke to a friend of mine who 2nd brother has overdosed and died from opiods in the last 3 years. This stuff is out of control in this country.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mikey custom-g and Okiebob like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's out of control here as well, the State has successfully sued one pharma company and is currently in court with another all over opioids. I've seen it too often as well but all hail Big Pharma and their horrible practices of enticing doctors to write prescriptions for anything and loading up the quantities.

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  8. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lets see now ! Overdose ? a person opens mouth and pushes in pill,s ! who is forcing them to do this ? who has their foot on the throat of these people making them swallow these pills ? Now days its always some one elses fault !!!

arrowflinger1, jrk_indle84 and Sota like this.
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The perpetually offended liberal that thinks that they are the smartest person in the room, just shut up your side lost.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody else sick of hearing about the US lesbians soccer team? Why are feminist lesbians so damn ugly?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Doctors over prescribed these pills for a long time and as a result, many people have become addicted. I believe in personal accountability but I have too many stories I could tell you in regards to great people getting hooked on opiods. War veterans injured in combat.....hooked. And on and on. Guys that are tougher than 99.9% of others mentally and still get hooked bc of opiods being pushed out and their own chemistry which lead to addiction.

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Obviously you e never seen or met a pharmaceutical rep or seen the lavish dinners they throw for doctors complete with kick backs for doctors who over prescribed said products. Or paid attention to legislation regarding these practices. But yeah, I let a friends daughter whose dad made it back from three tours defending your freedom and then was overprescribed an opioid for pain relief and the decided to lip a shotgun know that you think it's all the patients fault. 'Murica.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your friend's loss. I agree about it being out of control. I was proscribed hydrocodon after having my wisdom teeth pulled a couple of weeks ago. Took it for the first 12 hours afterwards and stopped as so as a pharmacist buddy told me it was an opoid. I flushed the rest of the pills and dealt with pain. I would rather be in pain than be an addict.

14. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rhetorical question.

dnoodles, mikey custom-g and Sota like this.
  15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    After I tore my first acl in college they gave that to me. I was in so much pain after acl reconstruction surgery that they gave me a months worth. Every time I took it I felt incredible. After the month was over I was in a panic, wishing I could get more. I knew what that meant for me...my personal biochemistry wanted that bad. After my 2nd acl surgery I used it for just the first 2 days to cope with the pain then threw the pills out. Ice and ibuprofen were my best friends.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've had quite a few surgeries where I was perscribed hydrocodone/ vicodine for pain relief. Like you, I don't take any more once the pain subsides. However, I don't throw the rest away. I save them for the next accident or stupid stunt I get myself into. They can certainly help take the edge off until you can get in to see the doctor. Personally, I've never became addicted to pain medication. I've never been addicted to anything except cigarettes and muscle cars and I quit cigs cold turkey 3 months ago.
    There is no cure for the muscle car thing for me! 2019.JPG

17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A friend from high school died this past December. I kept up with him on Facebook but hadn't seen him in person for probably 15 years. He used to deal drugs back in high school, and used them in excessive amounts.

I really did not know anything about his adult life aside from Facebook. He had a good union job with a big concrete company, wife and child and was always posting images of him ans his daughter(who is disabled and cannot walk on her own)hunting turkey, deer, geese and fishing. I had assumed he got away from it.

About a year and a half ago he had heart failure and was admitted where they installed a pacemaker. Several months later he had to go in and get a defibrillator installed along with a LVAD. He was then placed on a heart transplant list.

Throughout this whole ordeal his wife was begging the doctors not to prescribe him narcotic pain killers as he would abuse them. About 3 months before he passed he was admitted for having a lot of water being retained around his heart which was basically non-functional at that point. During all his testing they found that other organs were starting to fail and started telling him he would be removed from the transplant list if he did not stop abusing the pain meds as they would not give a good heart to someone who was killing theirself. They got the water retention under control and sent him home with a 3 month prescription of vicodin. He went through that 3 month supply in 2 weeks. A month later he was getting it off the streets and start crushing them and snorting it. A month after that he OD'ed on his couch, his wife woke up and called 911. They had to give him narcan in front of his daughter.

After that his wife kicked him out. Put him in a hotel room and basically told him to get into a treatment facility or stay away. That was right before Thanksgiving.

2 weeks later he was back in the hospital with a blood infection. They asked his wife if he had been shooting up, he had a bad infection around a wound in his leg. Apparently he started shooting painkillers. He died a day later.

I posted the entire story as he was a part of both scenarios. He was a willing user and abuser/addict. I do not feel sorry for him as callous as that may sound, he was a year older than me as we shared the same birthday, he had a wife and disabled child and yet still chose drugs over them.

Yet, on the other side of the equation, he was an addict. His wife informed all the Dr.'s of such and pleaded with them over and over not to prescribe him narcotic painkillers, yet they still did so. That is irresponsible in my opinion, especially from those who chose the profession of saving lives through medicine.

In the end he ultimately gave up on life, which happens to far too many in this country. Not all of them are drug users or addicts before the prescriptions start though. Anymore it seems Dr.'s like to treat by prescription rather than clinical treatment. Big Pharma incentivises physicians to push the newest and greatest which basically turns them into drug pushers.

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had bone cut/chiseled out of my foot, my tendon cut and then screwed back down into the chiseled bone and was walking in three weeks and helped pack out an elk at 4 weeks.

Never took anything stronger than ibuprofen. Y'all a bunch of sissies. ;)

They did give me a weeks worth (the max the can give in this state) of opioids but I never took any. I keep them around in case I need to sell them for pocket money. Kidding!!!!!

Seriously tho', having worked for multiple doctors at multiple hospitals, I have never seen over prescribed pain meds. Granted, these were emergency dept. docs and they are probably much more stingy with pain meds... but still.... There certainly were patients that played multiple doctors in order to get multiple prescriptions but that's not the doctor's fault. Are there some bad docs? Sure, but most are not and have no desire to over prescribe anything.

Most opioid deaths are from 'street' fentanyl which doesn't have much to do with prescriptions.

At the last EMT conference we had a class in opioids and it was really interesting how the supply chain works (China) and the dangers of reviving ODs A month later I saw my first true OD (fentanyl isn't big out here). Sure enough, that pt was very, very angry after some narcan killed his buzz. Makes one really do some thinking. Being stuck in a speeding cube with a violent person is not fun.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Narcan is an absolutely incredible breakthrough, but it is emboldening addicts to go that one step further knowing it is out there, and as Christine stated, aslo creates another danger to first responders when their buzz is canceled out and they become irate.

Ever since learning of Narcan it has made me even more skeptical of Big Pharma. Something that can take someone that is within seconds of death back to alert and often times coherent. Makes you wonder what other "breakthroughs" are already out there waiting for that "next" epidimic to hit....

20. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What the heck does that stand for ?

LFTS ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk