Mathews Switchback Tuning

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jsmoffitt03, Jun 19, 2019.

1. jsmoffitt03

jsmoffitt03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for some help tuning my old Mathews switch back, 2003 model

Put a new ABB string on it, yoke tuned and aligned cam... 33” ATA & 7” BH, DL is 27.5”
    Put a QAD drop away and set the center shot to 11/16

Shooting Victory RIP 350s w/ 100gr tips @ 27.25”

Followed the lost Arrow tuning method
    Once all done, I paper tuned it and it shoots bullet holes. Probably the best I’ve ever shot.

Put a Spott Hogg Hunter on it and adjusted 2nd & 3rd axis

Shoot at 20yrds and arrows shooting way right. Bottomed our site chasing the arrow and have no more adjustment. Currently about 10” right at 20yrds...tight groups but just all right...

I originally thought it was my grip but I am holding non torque. Firm between thumb and pointer w/ loose fingers

Tried 300s but no change.

I’m stumped...

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thoughts?

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    While there may be some other factors, your rest and/or your sight almost have to be off-center.
    What poundage are you shooting? You might be over spined a bit at that DL - but doesn't sound like it if you were shooting bullet holes.
    How do your arrows look in flight? Tailwhipping or cork screwing?

3. jsmoffitt03

jsmoffitt03 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The arrows were all over the place at first (tail wiping like crazy) then I started over, my cam was way out.... first paper tune session was tearing 3-4”. Then I adjusted yoke and string/cables to get it adjusted...

Shooting 68 lbs. bow maxed out

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That seems really strange to get bullet holes but then have the arrow hitting so far to the right.
    Have you tried a walk back tune to see what it shows? I'd try 5 yards and 15 yards to start. This would at least verify the string and rest are aligned with each other like the paper tune seemed to show.
    I simply tie a string to a nail and a washer to the bottom of the string to use for my vertical line, and then put a level on the top of the target and move it around/shim until it is perfectly level.

5. jsmoffitt03

jsmoffitt03 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I havet done that so I’ll try this weekend...

Thx

6. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot a bare shaft with your fletched arrows and see where it hits. Sometimes paper tuning doesn’t tell the whole story.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So if I'm reading this right... Looks like it paper tuned good for you but you are hitting 'low' and can't bring your sight any lower?

Double check your peep height and make sure it's right for you. If I were setting up a bow with that draw I'd probably start around 5 3/4" from center of dloop to middle of peep - and then tweak from there... I've seen guys that can't lower sights any more that have that measurement at 4" - 5" or whatever - which is almost always too low when you are looking at their form.... Adjust the peep height properly and "poof" they have more adjustment... (if your peep height is low, bringing it up will make you raise your sight) Normal recommendation I go off (at least to start with) is that your arrow nock should be in-between the corner of your lip and chin. Just something to check...

8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He is shooting to the right, not low. I think his saying he "bottomed out the sight" threw you off.