New to archery, advice needed on first bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Judd1980, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Judd1980

Judd1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

I am new to archery and have recently caught the bug to get started target shooting which will lead me to hunting once I’m proficient.

I have been to a local archery shop that sells, Hoyt, Bear, Bowtech and PSE. I shot the Bear Approach HC and the Hoyt Powermax. Both seem very nice but I wasn’t able to tell much difference between the two.

Both bows are in my price range with the Bear at $575 with the RTH package and the Hoyt at $670 with a package as well.

The Bear seems to have a little better sight on it but being new it is hard to tell.

I’m sure I’ll be happy with either so I’m looking for any info that could help sway my decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Judd

w33kender likes this.
  2. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought my wife a mission switch. Seems to be a solid bow for the money. When I first started, I was faced with a similar decision. I ended up buying a lightly used bow for the same price, but it was better. I went to a proshop first and found my draw length and went from there. Shoot some of the higher end models and if they seem that much sweeter, you can always look for a used one. Basically getting a better bow for the same price. I have not heard much about these bows though. I have seen several of the powermax models for sale used though. I always say look at resale values in case you find the sport is not what you expected. Good luck and be careful...this stuff is addicting. God Bless!

3. Judd1980

Judd1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks TJ! I’ve looked on eBay and other classifieds. Pretty set on getting a new bow.

Appreciate the response!

4. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You’re welcome. To be honest, in my opinion, you can’t go wrong with anything. If you have a chance to shoot any buy what feels the best. I honestly believe that confidence plays a bigger role than anything. Practice will give you that. When you think about the bows archers were using to kill big bucks back in the day anything now will be better. It may sound a little strange, but a lot of this sport is in the mind. The big companies know that and market products to feed the addiction and who’s fastest, smallest, etc. Find the bow that you love, treat it well, commit to it and it will treat you well. I wish you the best. I use a bow that I bought over a decade ago because I’m confident in it and it almost becomes part of me when I’m holding it. There’s nothing on the planet like being full draw on an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turk Hollinger likes this.
  5. Missed Mallards

Missed Mallards Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot as many as you can get your hands on! There are so many different models, makes and such for a reason. Grips r different, draw cycles, letoff, valley, ya da ya da.

Nothing will be wrong with the bow that fits you! It will have the draw that you feel is right, a grip that is repeatable for you, and when you release an arrow a sense of satisfaction that’ll just be there. Shoot until you find what you want! Brands are great and all and bandwagons are here! But in the end you’ll be the one that needs to be satisfied! Don’t get hung up on a name or brand. Get as many in your price range and shoot until you find the one that essentially picks you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you can't tell the difference between your two choices, I'd go with the less expensive Bear.

7. Judd1980

Judd1980 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any reason or just the cost?

Thank again all, appreciate the responses!

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Many entry level bows are better performers better quality than most would realize.
    Entry level accessories like those found on most RTH packages, however, are usually not. I would not waste your money on cheap sights. Better to buy a bare bow, then drop the coin on a nice sight and then a cheap but solid Quikee quiver than a cheapo sight and mid-level quiver.

Ranger Pat and Turk Hollinger like this.
  9. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, just the cost. Why pay more for a more expensive bow if it isn't a great deal better?

10. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why buy new? Check out the used bow racks, there’s some great deals out there.
    You can pick up a good used bow on FB or Ebay. Take it in the shop and shop for sights and accessories. They may charge you a small fee for checking it over, but you’ll still have less in it than a new one.
    Pay attention to what they’re doing to your bow. Pretty soon, you’ll be able to do your own tuning. This ain’t rocket science!
    Don’t over think this and have fun.

11. Robert Gate

Robert Gate Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get any one from them. As they're both reputable and you're a new archer, you have a learning curve ahead. As @jstephens61 said: "don't over think"

12. Turk Hollinger

Turk Hollinger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great words of advice here. Thank you guys!

13. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try them both (if possible) each bow has its own characteristics, and its beat to find one that feels right to you. Both Bear and Hoyt are top tier makers. My co-worker swears by Hoyt, me myself Im very pleased with my Species

14. Ranger Pat

Ranger Pat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I second this, I purchased a diamond edge SB-1 and its a great entry level bow. I within a week I was wanting to replace everything down to the peep sight. Get a bow and pick the attachments you want. It will be more expensive, but I promise you will end up buying near parts shortly after anyways. I got a Halon 32/6 within 2 months, would have been cheaper to just get the Halon outright. Go to your shop and shoot everything and ask a lot of questions about attachments to ensure you get what you want.

15. Getbig23

Getbig23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My First bow was a hoyt, still shoot a hoyt today!

16. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW, I bought the wife a Diamond Edge Infinite Pro three years ago to shoot for funsies. I paid about $250, now the same bow sells for about $100 more. A couple of fellows at our local gun club helped me set it up as to draw length and draw weight. It is adjustable up to 70# and the maximum draw length is about 30-31 without looking at the specs. It is a nice bow and quality is good. FWIW, if I was buying a new bow (wife says no), I would definitely look at one. Prefer LH due to a shoulder that is feeling the wear and tear of time. Judd, there a lot of options, like buying a car, that come into play. This is one of the things I like about this website and forums. Great advice from a wide range of archers with a trainload of experience. BTW, my first compound is a Bear Whitetail which 38 years ago was state of the art technology.

17. bowhunter09

bowhunter09 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a compound bow by Diamond Archery. Love it!

18. marshbanks12

marshbanks12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot all your options and pick what one you think shoots the best for you. I was dead set on a bow before until I shot it and it just didn't feel "right" in my hands.

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look on here there is bows for sale all the time. Just make sure it's being sold from a member that had more than 1 post. If you are set on new then other members have gone over the important things in previous posts ^^