What type of practice do you do in the off season?

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by BowhuntOnly, Jun 7, 2019.

1. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had to share this because it was a fun time with my daughter shooting last weekend. Rather than shooting foam or 3Ds we just found a couoke things to make practice a little more interesting for both of us. I really want to keep her interested. Whats fun for you all?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I will usually challenge my old man to a game of horse! we have a dartboard style target and you have to call your shot!

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  3. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool, I have seen others use a deck of cards to play archery blackjack, poker...wage some small bets to really add some pressure and make it fun!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Small balloons tacked to the target can be fun for a reactive type target. They aren't as reactive or fun as your cans were, but much easier on fletchings.
    Shooting for Poker hands and playing cricket or 301 on a dart board target are also fun.
    Between my brother-in-law and I we have several 3d targets. We like to set them up and make a small course for ourselves. We go through them with one person picking the spot to shoot from, and then the other does the 2nd time through. Sometimes with and sometimes without rangefinders. Rather than score we look at if the shot would've been a good one on a real animal rather than where the target lines on the target are. It gets interesting with sharp quartering away shots, shooting from kneeling position or sitting, and sneaking arrows through small gaps in the trees.

BowhuntOnly and slickbilly-d like this.
  5. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mod-it, that sounds like the archery club where I belonged in KY. This was before the days of 3D targets. Ours were paper bullseye or animal targets. Bullseye targets were plain vanilla with shooting from an open lane. Animal targets were set in different places to simulate hunting- between bushes, around trees, under overhanging limbs. Ah, the good ole days. I set up an indoor range of 10 meters to practice NASP rules. Will see if I can locate a photo.