First time with this.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by fishsoft92, May 9, 2018.

1. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll keep updates coming as best I can, but we are putting in a couple food plots for the first time this year. Two, maybe three. One is about 1/8th of an acre, the other is about an acre, the maybe is about another 1/8th of an acre. It’s supposed to rain this weekend, so I won’t be able to get anything sprayed until next week.

2. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    The highlighted black portions are where the food plots will be going. Bottom left is going to be in Antler King’s Honey Hole, top left is the maybe and would be in Evolved Harvest Throw ang Grow. The bigger one on the right we aren’t sure what seed mix we want to use.

Attached Files:

copperhead likes this.
  3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the smaller plots you cant beat clover and chicory. They hold up well to browse pressure and can be overseeded to help keep thick. If the soil pH is off Antler King GameChanger works good. The benefit being that with little maintenance the plot will last a few years.

Variety is good though. If you are planting the bigger plot in fall I would go with a mix of oats, cereal rye, winter pea with a sprinkle of clover.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out for ya.

fishsoft92 likes this.
  4. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice. Any insight anyone has to offer is always appreciated.

5. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like the next streak of clear weather we are going to have starts next Thursday, so I hope to be spraying after work on either Thursday or Friday.

copperhead likes this.
  6. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    The weather broke early, so I’ll be headed out to spray tomorrow. I’ll upload pictures as I get them, so y’all can see about where everything is going.

7. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry this took so long, but I couldn’t get out till today. This is what it look like at where the first plot is going. Toward the top right you can see the stand I hunt out of most of the time. I’m standing about 30 yards Ish away from the stand and about 10 yards in from the far side of the plot. Roughly 20 yards from the stand side across. F16E8652-A2F7-4D92-AC77-299D90896F8C.jpeg

8. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    This is the second plot. We have to move the stand that was near this one because the tree died, but we have some pretty good candidates just off to the right of the picture about 20 yards off of the edge. This would be the top left in the first post. The one above would be bottom left. 31563B07-8B07-432C-89F4-D3504161D41E.jpeg

9. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    These are different spots on the plot to the right in the original. This is also the only one of the three that we even have the option of getting equipment to, that’s why we are doing a throw and grow mix in the other two. The prayer is there for reference. About 30/35 yards away in the one you can barely see it, then I sprayed back about 20 yards passed where the sprayer is before I ran out of glyphosate.

Attached Files:

10. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    The weather has not been cooperating, I’ll get back out as soon as j can.

11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Small plots in shaded area are poor spots for anything but white clover in my opinion.

12. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it! Things have calmed down slightly and I’m was able to get a little something done. Using videos with commentary instead of trying to explain pictures. I am aware of how late of a start I’m getting, but this is the best I could do for this year.

13. fishsoft92

Dislikes Received:
    Got everything sprayed a week ago, going to go out after work today and take everything off. I’ll spray more in another spot I was working, butnill actually get videos and pictures posted this time.