Favorite broadhead

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering to get some ideas of what you guys' favorite broadheads on the market are. For the last few years I have been shooting NAP killzones. But recently I have gotten serious into building my own arrows and noticed that they have a weight difference of up to 10 grams, and none of them weighing close to the advertised 100 grams. I'm open to fixed and mechanical broadheads. I have took an interest in the Afflictor broadheads. If you have any experience with them I would love to know

Thanks!

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im a big fan of slick tricks, I shot the standard and magnums for several years. Tough and very sharp head, the also tune very well.

WETWOODLODGE likes this.
  3. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy Trocar Hybrid on a 475 grain arrow.

dnoodles likes this.
  5. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy 4 blade 130 grains anybody have any as Muzzy in their infinite wisdom quit making them to appease the new modern hu nters shooting 100 grains and lighter

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    preferably 5.

Sota likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I have never had a penetration problem at 475 but with a 72# draw weight 29-1/2 draw length there is plenty of energy there.

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't saying 5 as in 500; I meant 5 arrows tipped with the Muzzy HBs. You know, for when 1 (or 4) doesn't do the job. (Pincushion buck - making fun of myself.)
    475 grains in that set up is plenty for deer.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my bad, I did shoot two arrows at a buck this past fall, first time ever.

10. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love magnus black hornets. I’m trying the nap spitfire this year and I haven’t shot a deer with them yet but they do fly better than the magnus at 50 yards

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  11. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Spitfires or Grim Reaper for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  12. Adam Miller

Adam Miller Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on grim reaper hades?

13. Trenton Loewen

Trenton Loewen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same

Sent from my iPhone

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  14. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seems I have an issue with broadheads, always looking for something different. I see a new head a think I have to get a pack.
    Couple years ago I had to have some 100 grain ViperTricks. By far one of the best heads I’ve ever shot.
    Then along came the Iron Will V100. Yep, bought a 6 pack. ViperTrick is still a great head, but IW is a step above. My practice head is still sharp enough to cut you after hitting a Block Vault over 150 times.
    Any head you choose will do it’s job if you do yours.

15. TravisSouth

TravisSouth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you're a tuner, you can't go wrong with a fixed blade Muzzy. Otherwise I prefer a three blade expandable. Though smaller than many two blade varieties, I like the idea of a flap instead of a slit upon entry/exit. Also don't be be concerned with the notion bigger is better. I'd much rather take a smaller blade diameter and have a pass through- Also food for thought, many larger diameters use blades that aren't as wide. This would be more prone to breaking upon hitting a shoulder or rib.

16. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Idaho we can't use mechanicals, so I've always just used standard 3 blade Muzzy's. Replacement blades are readily found at the store and I've never struggled to get them to group well and hit with my field points...as long as my bow is tuned.
    As far as performance. I rarely hunt deer with a bow. I archery hunt elk in September and then switch to muzzleloader for deer usually, so all my experiences are on elk except for one lone deer that I encountered and shot many years ago during archery elk season. I shoot 70lbs(recently dropped to 65lbs but haven't shot anything yet) with a 27.5" draw and really am not running a very heavy arrow, they are right around 385 grains with a 100 grain tip. Get 306 FPS out of that setup. I keep my blades razor sharp at all times. Blades that have been shot into a target get sharpened before going into the quiver for hunting, and blades that spent a season in the quiver are replaced with new the next year.
    The only time I've ever not had a pass through is when it is a quartering away shot and the arrow hits the far side shoulder. Blood trails aren't a blood bath by any means, but plenty to follow. All have been recovered within 100 yards except for one. My very first elk I shot I managed to screw up a 20 yard shot and hit it in the near side shoulder (too excited!). The elk ran about 30 yards and then stopped when my uncle cow called to him. He then walked away out of sight. We waited a bit and then decided that we knew we were going to give it a bunch of time, but we would check how the sign looked for the first 50 yards. We found the arrow right away, it was broken off and when held up to another arrow we discovered it had gone in about 9". That meant it had actually made it through the shoulder and we knew the Muzzy was still in him and cutting him as he walked. 30 yards away where he had stopped we found the first blood on the ground. By 50 yards away he had blood in his foot print so we knew he was bleeding pretty good. We gave him all night and recovered him about 200 yards from where I'd shot him the next morning. He had bedded and never got up.
    Last year my brother-in-law shot a whitetail buck with a Muzzy MX-3. He has the same setup as me except 1/2" shorter draw length and about a 10 grain heavier arrow. He shot the buck quartering to at 35 yards. He was holding just ahead of the shoulder to angle it through the vitals, but the buck jumped the string before the arrow arrived. He hit it in the neck and the arrow exited through the far side shoulder. Very impressive to me. He cut an artery in the neck and the buck didn't go 60 yards. Not a shot I would've taken, but another experience of what that Muzzy chisel tip can do to bone.
    Sorry for the novel, but wanted to explain why I'm more than satisfied with the performance of the Muzzy's. I wouldn't have ever thought I'd get through an elk shoulder without a much heavier arrow. That chisel tip did its job that day. I still wouldn't ever expect it to go through a shoulder of course and try to avoid a shoulder hit at all costs.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Robert Hancock and TravisSouth like this.
  17. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spitfire XXX.

18. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    NAP Spitfire Maxx for me.

19. Bowbunter k-32

Bowbunter k-32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Qad exodus, musacchia, and innerloc broadheads.

20. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting Thorn broadheads for a few months, practice. For me I do like that they are field point accurate. I made a video reviewing the field point accuracy and working on another having fun shooting things other than foam...I love the accuracy because ultimately almost any broadhead will perform if it hits the mark!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app