Asking for private land permission

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by slickbilly-d, May 23, 2019.

?

Show up on the door step or message first

1. Just show up

80.0%
  2. Message first

20.0%
  1. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im wanting to ask a few people to hunt on there farms, but I do not know them and they don’t know me. A few of them live in different cities.

How do you all think the best way to go about asking for permission. Should I just show up unannounced or try a Facebook message first. I hate the Facebook message thing, but it’s the only way I can reach a few of them. If I were to do a FB message it would be asking to meet to talk about possibly getting permission, not just “hey can I bow hunt your 200 acres, bro?”

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know if you could see something on their property you could do for them or help them out that could be a good in. Bush hog their roads or paths if you have access to a bush hog. Round up their fence line if it looks like a problem. Share the meat with them. Is what you do for a living something helpful to others?

Money may or may not be a motivator for a property owner but have a number ready for them. Start low, you can always go up.

I got on my killer lease by being invited by a friend of the owner to hog hunt with and I showed up with a half bag of corn. The owner was so impressed I became first and only person on the lease. And I do all of the above and much much more for the property and him.

Good luck.

CToutdoorsman and w33kender like this.
  3. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You gona have to have a conection of some kinda. Else its like a cold call in business 98% of them go unheard and never get a call back or its a no. If u didnt know the person and he ask to come to your back yard and hang out for awhile every now and then u would say no to. Catch them out on ther property talk about weather sports kids or grandkids and find common ground with them and incert that you would like to hunt. Even after seein them a few times and talkin about it u still may get a no. And persistence and being a good trustworthy person goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In person for me is the best bet. I've tried calling in the past and gotten no's but in person, I've gotten a yes. Meeting someone in person IMO is much better. They get a sense of who you are and what kind of person you are in a 60 second conversation. Hopefully, the 60 seconds turns into a longer conversation about who you are, where you are from and so on.

The property I got a yes to I'd had my eye on for about 3 years. No one lived on the property but one day driving by, I noticed a truck at the barn. Pulled down the road and waited until the person showed up. Turned out to be a really nice guy and we had a great conversation. Long story short I got back in touch with him about 2 weeks later and got the yes.

Any random person from anywhere in the country can send a Facebook message. Taking the time to personally introduce yourself would be how I'd do it. Especially if I'm close to them. Best of luck!

slickbilly-d likes this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have found the best approach is to begin with a conversation. Let them see you outside of the camo. I never go for deer first. First thing I always ask for is shed season. It shows you are serious about what you do and take hunting as a entire year approach. Then trail cameras ( make sure you show them a few cool pics other than deer) After that I ask for turkey season and if I am successful they get the processed bird ready to be frozen and made for Thanksgiving. If you get that far asking for deer is easy.
    I have even been asked! Ppl want eyes on their land 8/10 specially if they don't use it and it's decent size.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The people that own the two properties live about an hour or better so catching them outside isn’t really practical, but I may start cruising by to see if I can catch somebody parked there.

7. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe send a letter in the mail. It would be professional, especially if they are old school. Leave your phone number in the letter, and see if you get a call back. I'd preface with helping them maintain property, keep trespassers off, etc. Especially if they live far away. And offer money if you can afford it.

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In person. Bring your family if you have one, or at least one of your kids. They feel more comfortable knowing you're not a wild and crazy single guy, lol. Have a card printed up with your name, address, phone number, make and color of your rig with license# to give to them. Don't beat around the bush, they don't want to stand and B.S. at the door for any length of time...usually. Offer to help with chores first so they can see what kind of person you are before they give their final answer. Ask well before the season, before everyone else starts dropping by and bugging them constantly.

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The number one thing that will get you permission and access is having a point of mutual reference with the person. Find that before you ask and your success will go way up.

SouthDakotaHunter and Fix like this.
  10. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Knock on the door and introduce yourself and shoot the breeze with em about possibly being granted the privilege to hunt their property. A lot of good info above, also once granted permission don’t forget about them at holidays. Every Christmas I get the one land owner a big smoked ham, 1lb of chocolates and treats for his dogs, just a little thank you. If they like the game you harvest share with them as well. Good luck, be confident and assertive.

Fix likes this.
  11. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For sure in person is best from my experience. I have tried calling literally hundreds of numbers, mailing letters with a bit better success rate and bringing my kids along in person with the best results. My view, it doesnt hurt to ask. I find landowners are mainly concerned about their risk...especially if they dont hunt and mainly afraid of gun shots. I usually ask for bowhunting only and this has got me in the door. Offering your labor always helps too!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

12. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I will always go in person for the first encounter! If I have had a conversation with the landowner and they are unsure at the time I always have an index card in my pocket with my name phone number and email. If I don't get a response I will usually give one call or email to ask after that I will leave it alone because if they want it to happen they will reach out to you.
    Good luck!