Summer plots, what are ya planting?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Okiebob, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just put in my order for my summer plot seed. I ordered this mix from Hancock Seed.
    10% Hulled Aeschynomene
    10% Alyce Clover
    10% Sunn Hemp
    10% Dwarf Deer Corn
    10% Japanese Millet
    15% WGF Sorghum
    15% Peredovic Sunflowers
    20% Iron/Clay Cowpeas

Normally I go through my Co-op but Hancock seed has this mix a friend used last year so I thought I would give it a try. I ordered 50#'s of the mix and another 20#'s of sunn hemp. I also was able to order 10#'s of Sainfoin from another source, going to see how well it grows down here in Oklahoma. I am planting May 5th if the weather cooperates. So what are y'all planting? Anyone have planting experience with Sainfoin?

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planting the first two things on you list. Jointvetch and clover.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't plant mixes anymore unless all seeds are about the same size and grow at the same speed.
    Way to many $ wasted planting blends.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. However, I helped plant this friends plot last year and was surprised by this mix doing so well. I think the trick to planting blends is to run a harrow over it first with the teeth set shallow and roll it after broadcasting. I have and old commercial hot water heater tank I converted into a landscape roller and have had good success with it. Well, that and I am good about only discing down about 2-3" versus sinking the thing as deep as I can get it.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im mostly maintaining a few clover plots and will be putting some beans, peas, sunflowers and buck wheat in one plot.

I planted the same mix you did last year in Virginia. It came up great but the sorghum seemed to take over the plot. That could be because the deer ate the others when they were coming up. :-)

Okiebob likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is the first year I can say I have no idea. I do have two clover plots I need to spray and fertalize. I have two hay plots to fertilize and I have enough clover / chicory seed for an acre planting. I am not sure where that will go yet. Right now I an waiting to do weed kills. I believe this may be a mostly late summer fall year for me. I have a few new spots and several old ones that will see winter rye,turnips rap,kale,possibly late summer beans.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    This is the first year I can say I have no idea. I do have two clover plots I need to spray and fertalize. I have two hay plots to fertilize and I have enough clover / chicory seed for an acre planting. I am not sure where that will go yet. Right now I an waiting to do weed kills. I believe this may be a mostly late summer fall year for me. I have a few new spots and several old ones that will see winter rye,turnips rap,kale,possibly late summer beans.

Okiebob likes this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Clover and more clover the deer love it.

copperhead and Okiebob like this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I am planting this weekend! With the rain in the forecast all next week I figured I otter get 'er done this weekend. Cannot wait!

10. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Squasn n pumpkins. More than ever.

11. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Small clover plot, that I planted end of April. Trying to get another small plot going with mix of soy beans/cow peas/buckwheat. Hopefully I'll have something green on the ground most of summer. I'm not experienced with Ag or planting my own plots, so its trial and error this year.

Okiebob likes this.
  12. TravisSouth

TravisSouth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be leery of planting beans on a smaller plot. If adamant about beans, I'd suggest the forage variety to withstand early browse pressure.

13. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate the advice. I wanted to add something to supplement the clover, and the local feed store recommended the bean mix. Depending on how this grows, might expand to a bigger plot for beans only next year. Plan on planting oats in the fall.

14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Forage sogbeans for sure but cow peas just grow and grow and grow being browsed. They usuallywont get beans in the northern areas browsed heavy. Deer love them

15. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone have success with certain mixes, or is it generally preferred to separate plants into their own areas?

16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I do both, the thing about mixes is you are really limited on weed control if you have legume and non legumes together. With a monoculture you can better control weeds and specific fertilizer needs. Late season mixes where weeds may not be an issue seem to work best for me like a plotspike blend.
    Another thing I find works well is walking a annual winter type seed over a monoculture plot. Spread seed light before a rain and roll it in where feasible...ie ..winter grains into beans or turnips into clover

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  17. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Can't say I've ever had what would be considered a great plot with blends unless different clovers.

Seeds come in different sizes and do best when planted right time/ depth.

Just got done planting a 1/4 acre spot with pumpkins/ squash.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    This is where collecting your knowledge on the seed your planting is vital. That and making your own mixes. Not all beans are the same not all winter grains are either. You really need to get oats under the soil as well as winter wheat. Winter rye not so much. Sun flowrrs need a good depth, sunn hemp not as much but both are structure plants soybeans plant well with sun flowers for depth. But hemp and cowpeas are a better top seed in loose soil and rolling in.
    A pumpkin squash plots great until they hit it hard and frost kills off the greens ,then what do you have? If you go in and walk over a brassic or a winter rye in early fall before a heavy rain you have extended your draw time.

19. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    OND, finally someone who makes some sense!
    You give purdy good overall advice.

I've been doing food plots for 20+ years. With very minimal equipment!

Made EVERY mistake in the book while doing so..., Not only expensive ones but years of total duds:bigcry:.

Never had deer bother the actual plant ( pumpkins/ squash while growing.
    Once the fruits get ripe, they will bypass every other crop to get to them. Seen em dig through 2 feet of snow with standing corn right next door.

20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well I have a few more years on you in the trial and error of plots. Having a great time in the process. It's probably my education in recreational land management that gives the reading advice I tend to give.
    Pumpkins and squash are a killer draw no doubt. But in high density areas they go way earlier than the season ends. So much more can be grown in the " negative " leaf/vine space.a low growing annual clover planted in spring with them is also a great draw and soil builder. I did that last year with great results using persian clover.