Scent Crusher bag and ozone generator

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Apr 20, 2019.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys just wanting to get some input from fellow hunters who may have used the scent crusher duffle bag and ozone generator. What are the Pros and Cons of the whole Ozone system and are they worth the investment? I found one for $69.99 and all of the research I have done and other prices I have found are about twice that so I want to jump on that deal if the bag and ozone generator are worth it. I don't know anything about ozone generators and I don't know anyone who owns one or has used one so I just want to make sure I am not using something that will damage my scentlok clothing or other hunting gear from long term use. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a good price! If it were me I would probably get it. However, I am leaning towards the ScentLok version because it has a tubular manifold that runs around the inside of the bag to disperse the ozone. Mind you, I have not seen any of these in person because they’re always boxed up in the stores.

I am a big fan of ozone. I use an Ozonics unit in the field and inside totes. I plan to get a bag as well. That being said, ozone is basically corrosive. It potentially has a long term effect on most products it contacts. The trick is playing the concentration and duration game with the exposure. I suspect that most of that is handle with the units themselves (size of the unit, cycling it on and off). I try to treat my items in 15-20 minute cycles. I use it on most items that I cannot launder, although I bet washing carbon clothing, or any other clothing for that matter, diminishes its life to some extent. Ozone is very toxic on natural rubber. So keep that in mind for your gear.

In addition to gear that doesn’t go in the washing machine, I plan to use my bag on extended outings where I need to freshen items like baselayers, socks, etc.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  3. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input Planopurist. I'm def considering buying it I just don't know anyone who has ever used any type of Ozone products and I didn't want to go in blind and buy something to use and end up having to replace my gear every year or two because the ozone messed it up. My Scentlok stuff has the Carbon Alloy so I was curious if it was better just to recharge it in the dryer or put it in the Scent crusher. Didn't know how all of that worked. Again I appreciate your help!

4. Planopurist

Dislikes Received:
    You’re quite welcome. Like I said, I would buy it it were me. I rationalize it this way. Can I use a duffle bag? A duffle bag alone is worth at least $25. If yes, then is the ozone device worth $45 to me? If the answer to the first question is “no”, or “I don’t need a duffle”, then “is the ozone device worth $70?”

I’ve been using an Ozonics unit for 3 years and I’ve used ScentLok and Scentblocker clothing for that period too. I have not replaced anything due to ozone exposure in that time frame. I have been washing mine in a product called Upwind. I also use Upwind spray on my garments/gear. Upwind works similarly to ozone in that its end result is oxidation, which is what kills bacteria and odor. The oxidation is also what corrodes. I believe the scent adsorption
    clothing companies would probably not recommend sprays or ozone. However, my thought is that because the carbon alloy, Trinitity, etc. is the lining or inside layer of the garment, exposing the outside to oxidation is less damaging to the adsorption
    layer of the garment. I still reactivate my clothing by putting it in the dryer per the manufacturer’s instructions.

Another way I look at the clothing is that the inside adsorbs our scent and the outside smells like whatever we come into contact with in the environment (gasoline, food, fumes, etc.) which is why I try not to wear my clothes until I get to the field.

My baselayers are another story. I always wear baselayers as a barrier between my skin and the adsorption layer of the ScentLok. I try to treat my baselayers with ozone and/or wash them more frequently. One, because they come into contact with my skin and it’s bacteria, sweat, skin cells, etc. Secondly, because they’re less expensive and more replaceable than my outerwear.

Like I said, I mostly plan to use an ozone bag for baselayers and non-washables (backpack, boots, release aid, down jackets, belts, harness, linemen’s belt, miscellaneous fabric stuff sacks, etc.).

All my opinion, but I’m kind of anal about my scent regiment. I did a Nine Finger Chronicles podcast about my experience with Ozonics. In it, I touched on my somewhat obsessive, compulsive approach to scent control/profile management.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.
  5. Planopurist

Dislikes Received: