New Trad Shooter Looking for Help

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by siwulat, Apr 19, 2019.

1. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started shooting trad recurve this spring (about a month ago) and am noticing my nock kick to the left upon release. I’m shooting off the shelf, 45# at 28” and using 500 spine arrows, as per the carbon express table.

My feathers are 3 fletch configuration and I’ve tried the cock in all directions with the same result. I know I’m hitting the riser but thought the feathers would compress enough so not sure what else I should try.

Is this a common thing? Is it inherent to shooting off the rest? Would love to hear from the knowledgeable trad guys here.

2. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out what's called, "Archers paradox." It may help explain some of what's going on. Speaking from experience, everything a compound is, traditional archery usually isn't. If you are using fingers, the release is way different and feathers help w/ clearance issues but shooting off the shelf inherently will cause the arrow to go "around" it. Traditional archery is much more a feel and less mechanical due to no draw stops, no let off, bow grips are usually bigger. I recommend reading anything you can get your hands on or watch YouTube.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well said, pastorbigdan.