The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well done, we need MAKERS perhaps you could teach a class some day:poke:

FYI I was kicked out of class back in the day:beer:

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not for nothing, my mother was a teacher for 35 years. She has a Master's degree and taught 4th grade. Teachers being underpayed and under appreciated is nothing new here in Oklahoma. Some of the worst payed in the entire U.S. Ya'll are right about one thing, it is a profession that one chooses to work and it takes a certain type of person to teach, shape and educate that is. My mom never made over $35k, was constantly using her own money for supplies and helping those less fortunate, more than a lot of others I know. But seriously, maybe you are calling teachers of today babysitters but its insulting at any rate. The GOP here in Oklahoma and I suspect across the nation, has raped and pillaged the educational budget and its direct result are the same kids you are bitching about that cant hold a job or enter the market as a subpar. Maybe if you want a better employee in the future you would want to fund education and pay teachers. Instead we cut funding and glorify athletes, mumble rappers and social influencers. Freedumb

virginiashadow, cantexian and Germ like this.
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Preach it man! I would gladly give up my career and be a stay-at-home dad if teaching paid that.

Germ likes this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My point was not that the teaching profession is overpaid, it's that many teachers have no business being in the profession. Those are the overpaid babysitters to whom I was referring.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, my wife was a teacher for 15 years prior to her moving on to her current profession. And her parents were teachers for 35 years. Her brothers have been teachers for 10 to 20 years now. Very familiar with what goes on in that world.

Germ likes this.
  6. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If only I could have more than one of your comments in my sig.

Okiebob likes this.
  7. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No worries using Dnoodles logic I got it up to $260,000, now you can get a new truck also

cantexian likes this.
  8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    "Teachers shouldn't be in it for the money". Come on man. Here in VA we have a state retirement system where after 25 years served in the public sector and age 50, one can collect retirement. Imagine a teacher who lives and teaches in an expensive county making even $60, 000 a year when they retire. Well at retirement the state is going to give you 50% of what you made when you retired. So that teacher who lives among houses costing 400k will get 30k a year as their retirement. 30k a year, divided by 12 months. That is a fixed income of $2, 500 a month before taxes. After taxes that may be $1, 800 a month. Well the average apartment in my county costs probably $1, 500 a month. Have fun with that retirement.

w33kender likes this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just to be clear, my ranting has not been on the education leading to the next gerations willingness to learn. It was about the programs that are no longer being offered that introduce skill and aptitude at an early age before it becomes a neccessity.

From electronics, to metals, woodshop, vocational schools with automotive repair, welding, HVAC courses etc....

Letting them apply themselves without feeling pressured to do so but because they want to and hold an interest in it.

I could care less about History for the most part, hell, it's being erased now anyway.

You will always need people who can work with their hands and build something from their imagination. Now it seems the only time you can learn that off the job is to take out a loan and do it after 12 years of school.

I live in IL, 100% democratically controlled and all but a handful of years of my life, by one man. The lottery was estavlished to fund education, until it was robbed from until it went belly up and had to be sold to a third party. A lottery system that goes belly up and has to hand out IOU's to winners. That should never happen because it's design is to take in double the payout minimum.

So funding was lost there, but add in the common core and no child left behind disasters and there's more than just teaching that needs fixed.

10. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    While were at it let's give Cops, Firemen and all our first responders more money

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where does the mystery money come from to give all these people raises?

12. gauge

gauge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who wants to pull at that thread?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Bring in businesses to your county. Make it easy for them to set up shop and thrive, with the full understanding that they will be taxed pretty hard, especially if they are not bringing many jobs to the table.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Taxes of course.

I'd opt for pay cuts of the lawmakers and eliminations of some of their positions and benefits as well though.

It's amazing how rich they become by screwing everything up to the point it no longer works, and then claim they know how to fix it.

picman likes this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    New drinking game for tonight.

Watch The Rachel Maddow show, and eveytime she claims she has found a gotcha in the Mueller report, take a drink, if she does the little head bob thing as well, drink twice.

You should be passed out by the time the firstcommercial break happens. :lol:

gauge likes this.
  16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps instead of paying 26 times more on defense than the next 12, we make it just 10 times.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is not possible for a city, state, or country to tax it's way to prosperity.

18. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well ive concluded the problem with America and problem with bad kids poor help snd general problems ( quit reading now if you are offended easily)(you cant quit tho because its just how we as humans are wired). Ok.
    # 1 Rap Music
    #2. Sending your kids to day care
    #3. Ps, xbox , nintendo or any personal gaming devise
    #4. People living above ther means
    #5. Taking away the basic knowledge of right and wrong were actions dnt have consequences

Ok so here me out. Live in your means were dad works, mom stays home with kids and raises them. She teaches them to not listen to junk and doesn let them watch tv and play video games all day, and teaches them basic skill such as hard work, giving to the neighbors and loving each other.
    Sound simple right? Now u can add to my list. Of things that ruin the kids of toda just remember tho, it dnt do any good to talk bout it unless u actually are doin it

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In Oklahoma it would come raising the Gross Production Tax on the oil overlords back to a national standard of 7-12% instead of a whopping 2%. We had to fight like hell just to get it back to 5%. Our budget shortfalls over the last eight years have been directly linked to the low GPT. We initially lowered the GPT so the oil overlords could sustain through barrel price fluctuations and retain employees.. that lasted right up to the first time the barrel price dropped and the ****heads layed off people by making them download an app that let them know whether they were employed or not. Real stand up fellas, all Republicans. To cowardly to even look an employee in the eye and tell them they had no job. In four short years the predominant party in charge, the GOP, whittled billions of dollars out of education, shortened the school week and figured the same textbooks from 1986 were just fine to educate our youth that are expected to perform on a national level. Where did this money go you may wonder? Right into the pockets of fat cats that greedily tucked it away bc you know it better to have more money than you could spend in a lifetime while bitching about those you cast out of a job now requiring government assistance and wanting an education for their offspring.

Germ likes this.
  20. charleshibner92

charleshibner92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think i might hav givn him a schooling in ways hes wouldn get anywer else. And u still have a chance over the next few weeks and u can educate him