Lock-on stand setup tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Apr 8, 2019.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone have any expertise that could better help myself when installing a lock on stand by myself? I know it's always best to have a friend with you, but when you need to get things done, sometimes you just have to do it yourself. I hung a hawk kickback stand a few weeks ago, and maybe it's just me, but it is very time consuming. I would like to manage my time and be more efficient. When being solo, how do you wrap/carry your sticks in such a manner that you do not have to go up and down the tree every single time to grab a stick?? Backpack? Rope?..... Seems very cumbersome having to go up and down and using a lineman's strap each and every time so wanted to see what you guys do.

The only thing that seem to have helped me is securing your stand with a tree hook and small figure 8 knot at the top helps a lot when trying to position your stand in place. If anyone has any tips or tricks to the trade feel free to post your methods!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I carry an aluminum extension ladder out to the stand site, yeah it is cumbersome but I find the results are worth it.

kjstaudt86 and justinwmoe88 like this.
  3. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should be able to carry your climbing sticks around your shoulder like a one strap backpack or attach them to your harness. Tie a rope to your stand and when to get to where your stand pull it up and secure it to the tree

cml5895 likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what I do.

When I'm not hunting (this time of year/summer) this is my typical process.
    • First step gets hung from the ground.
    • Climb up and hang second step
    • Back down to grab the 3rd and 4th steps. Attach both ends of strap to the stick and sling one over each shoulder. Go cross-body like a chick carrying a purse.
    • Tie bow pull-up rope to treestand and other end to harness.
    • Have lifeline & hooks/accessores in backpack.
    • Climb up using lineman's strap, hang 3rd and 4th sticks as you go
    • Pull up stand and hang it. Having both hands free while using a lineman's strap is a huge life and time saver.
    • Climb onto stand, hang lifeline, clip in and then screw in all hooks, bow hangers, etc.
    • Climb down and go drink a cold one

grommel, kjstaudt86 and justinwmoe88 like this.
  5. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice description. Couldn't do it a better way pre season.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  6. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks! I'll keep that in mind with the straps as I go up! Keep the tricks coming guys

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    youtube is your friend on this one. I've picked up a lot of good tips. DIY hunter has some great hacks

8. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer stands that have any ez hang system such as Millennium, XOP, Lone Wolf so you can hang the stand much easier and have your hands free to run straps around the trunks. If you don't have a stand with this feature then run a screw in tree step or accessory hook to hang the stand from once you're up there, or wedge the stand on a branch while you run the straps around the tree.
    Also just make sure your linesman's rope is set so that you can just sit back into your harness so you don't tire out trying to cling onto the tree the whole time.