Cannot get my bow tuned perfectly

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Up until last weekend, I had no problems with my bow, I was shooting pretty good groups out to 60 yards. Then I decided to see how my broadheads shoot to get ready for turkey season. That was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. Now here I am 2 days from the opening day of turkey season with an untuned bow.
    I have a Mathews Triax that is pretty much out of the box, nothing special done to it by a shop. Since my broadheads were not grouping with my field points, I decided to try to paper tune it to see what the problem was. I almost had it pretty good while bare shaft tuning, except the fact that I ran out of adjustability in my rest. It is set all the way to the left and all the way down, and I am still getting a low right tear.
    At this point I have ran out of ideas to try and there isnt a pro shop close by that would be able to help me with the problem that I have. I looked, and there is a slight cam lean going towards the right side when at a resting position.
    Any help is greatly appreciated

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Far from a n expert but I assume that the field points and broadheads are the same weight. You talk about no adjustment with the rest. FWIW, I had a problem with my sight, was shooting low at 15 yards- was told to adjust my nock point. Fixed the problem.
    I'm sure that there are others who can give some specifics for your bow. Good luck. BTW, TN turkey season came in two weeks ago. Every time I get ready, it rains or something else comes up! There's no justice!

3. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Edit; I am shooting an Easton Axis 400 spine at around 60-62# at 27.5".

4. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You should not be running out of adjustment on the rest.. If you look down your arrow shaft from behind the bow, is it straight or does it angle one way or the other? Looking at the bow from the side does the arrow slope down? Eye ball both of those to square the best you can then go back to paper. Also the shaft should run through the berger button hole (where you screw in your rest). I can get some pictures for reference if you want some to describe this better

All in all its good you did this before wiffing on a turkey with your broadheads

5. JimmyQ

JimmyQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know you’re pressed for time but I would set everything back square and level and start tuning from scratch. Start with the basics and work your way to more advanced tuning if need be. Check your timing, set your center shot and go from there. It’s best to make one adjustment at a time and see if it improves or gets worse. There is no reason that you should ever run out of adjustment in your rest.

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at this video. I walk through start to finish how I tune the Crosscentric cam bows. The rest should be 1/8” nock high and 13/16” off the riser, then you tune the bows top hat system to make sure everything is in alignment with that position.

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a heads up, newer Mathews bows (Traix, Traverse, Vertix, etc) and many of the Hoyts too when using a Standard QAD HDX, need to have the spacer that comes with the HDX in the box installed otherwise you don't have enough room to get it centered perfectly. If you ever notice, the Mathews and Hoyt versions of the rest - come with it installed already.... It essentially bumps out the rest so it can be properly lined up with the cams and centered....

Get behind your bow, hold it straight and center the string with the cams (focus on the bottom one) then follow it up through the center of the rest - that should be really close to where your center shot needs to be...

Not sure if that is what is going on for you but it's worth double checking the centershot.... If you have a bow level, it would also be a good idea to make sure the arrow is level with the berger hole - no need to go nock high with the Triax like some of the older bows...

8. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't catch what rest he was using.. I know he said nothing special done by a shop but I would assume a Mathews dealer would set him up with the correct rest config. but you know what they say about assuming..

OP, what rest are you using?