2019 Turkey Contest - Team 2

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright gents here's the check in. Below is the team so please respond you are checking in and let's let some arrow fly! My season starts Saturday! Should go without saying but, I'm checked in!!

Cml5895
    bowhunt4abuck
    S.McArthur
    Hillbilly Jedi
    Whitetailjunky3
    IN DA WOODS

2. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in! My name is Collin and I'm from Western New York. May 1 is our regular season opener. Youth weekend is April 20 and 21 which is by far my favorite part of turkey season. Seem to have plenty of birds around and I have seen quite a few birds strutting now that we have some decent weather. I have big plans for this turkey season but they could get derailed in a hurry with a new job and moving, only time will tell!

3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet, you guys are super lucky to have me, such an amazing turkey slayer on your team! Not to brag or anything.

Saturday is opening day but will be raining. I'll still get out but most likely with a shotgun for some early scouting. I have 3 spots to hunt and 4 tags to use.
    I've finally been seeing some birds strutting in fields I drive by to/from work,that should be a good sign.

cml5895 likes this.
  4. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You're going to need to carry my weight most likely! Good to have you

5. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in guys the name is ryan and I hunt in ohio. Season starts April 22 cant wait. Look forward to being on the team this year.

cml5895 likes this.
  6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    1hr until sunrise, all quiet so far. I’m going to wait for them to talk first before scaring them off with my rusty calls.
    Cloudy/60, not a bad morning

7. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    0550, first gooble. Maybe 200yards

8. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Got the first one out of the way with a shotgun, they hung up 60/70 yards for about 35min, finally the hens wanted to come beat up my decoy and blamo! 20yards, about 1.5/2 year old bird.

Attached Files:

9. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am checking in, good luck team. I only have one tag this year but I have a good area to hunt in so I should have a good chance to fill it with a nice bird

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

10. whitetailjunky3

whitetailjunky3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! Nice bird

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got it done today boys! Opening day was a cluster to say the least but I can’t talk about it anymore cause I’ll raise my blood pressure too high. But patience finally paid off. Put down a nice Tom with the Bow this afternoon. 22lbs, 9 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/16 inch spurs. Putting 62.25 points on the board tomorrow when I can upload the pics.

whitetailjunky3 and Junior like this.
  12. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like we’re only missing in da woods too. I’ll pm him tomorrow and make sure he’s still in the game.

13. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That did not take long! Great work

14. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome job! I am so jealous of you guys hunting already. We just got a couple inches of snow this weekend but their were birds strutting through it. I always figured NY would have a much better season if they ran Mid-April to Mid-May. But then again a lot more birds would get taken. I like hunting late May gobblers when I am the only one out there.

Hillbilly Jedi likes this.
  15. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    My problem with our season right now, and most years normally, is 85% of the hens have already been bred. And this year has been even earlier than most. In the last 3 weeks the biggest group of hens I've seen is 3 or 4 and in the last 2 days hunting, never saw more than one at a time. And with that I only saw 2 lone hens in 2 days! On top of it if you can believe it, we can't hunt after 5pm. F&G wants hunters to, "Give the birds time during the season to breed without hunter pressure". They're all but bred out by by the opener for crying out loud!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  16. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Well gents here he is. All 62.25 points of him! Hands down the biggest scoring bird I've ever killed! Crazy day! I have 2 blinds on the property. At about 10:30 I exited blind #1 to do a little glassing and see 3 toms in front of my other blind. (the one in the background of the picture). They noticed me and slowly worked their way back into the mandarin trees. A little while later, a jake came in and was in a spot I wasn't expecting him. I almost got a window down to shoot out of but he noticed me and promptly vacated the area. 20 minutes later, to my surprise, he came back and I was ready this time. Took the shot but hit him very low. Only feathers and a tiny bit of fat on the arrow. Did my due diligence and looked for him but to no avail. About 20 minutes later I saw him walking through the grapes to my right, (the background of the picture), so I felt good knowing the hit was not mortal. Little while later, in wanders one lone hen. She fed around in front of the blind for about 10 minutes and wandered to the right, just far enough for those 3 big toms to see here. About 15 minutes later, here they come. They stayed on top of the hill in front of me and I thought for a few minutes they weren't gonna give me an opportunity. But with a little patience, one came down the hill ahead of the other 2. It was nice to only have one set of eyes. Drew the bow and he was facing straight away from me feeding. Let the arrow fly and zipped it right through the center! He flopped around and the other 2 came over to see what was going on, as they do quite often. He was still flopping a bit so as they cleared, I sent another arrow through him for insurance and ran out to pick him up. Man was I excited! I haven't been that excited in a while honestly. After the cluster of an opening day I had, it felt like the weight of the season was lifted!

2019 Tom 1 spurs.JPG 2019 Tom full bird.JPG 2019 Tom.JPG

17. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful bird and a huge congrats!
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Hillbilly Jedi likes this.
  18. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in NY we can't hunt after 12 noon! Some of my best birds killed, I was fighting to call them in before that deadline. I couldn't imagine being able to hunt the entire day.

19. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hillbilly, that's a great bird. Way to stick with it. How many tags are you allowed in CA? Two here in NY but cannot be filled in the same day.

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! I know the birds are around, it's just a patience game we play. The property is small enough, eventually if you have enough time to wait, they'll show up.

You know the funny thing is we don't have to buy tags out here. There is only a 1 bird per day, 3 per season limit for the spring. You'd think the state would like to make some extra money selling tags, and it's a better way to identify if people shoot more than their limit, but they haven't decided to do that yet. I'd gladly pay $5 a tag to hunt turkeys.