Washing hunting clothes???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by justinwmoe88, Mar 26, 2019.

1. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have washed them with hunting detergent a few times but every time the fabric stretches at all it releases an immense amount of fragrance in doing the baking soda thing tonight and borrowing a friends ozonics tomorrow

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^THIS^

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    An Ozone generator and put it in an air tight container for a few hours will take care of it.

4. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is grounds for divorce !!!!

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A long long time ago my wife washed my hunting clothes. Last day of the season I hunted pretty much the entire day. As soon as the day started I began smelling the odor of bleach. My wife was so proud that she washed my clothes in baking soda and hung dry them that she finished up by putting them in plastic garbage infused with bleach. We had a good laugh when I got home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  6. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been married almost 46 years. That idea is a losing proposition. She will make you wash your own clothes.

justinwmoe88 likes this.
  7. Bassindago

Bassindago Newb

Dislikes Received:
  8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, what did you do to make her cranky? For her to use "double the amount" plus the dryer sheets she was trying to get your attention for something. Inquiring minds want to know...
    I don't know whether its true or not, but it's said that phosphates in hunting clothes show up like a white shirt in a black light. They have stuff that is supposed to remove it, but whether it's a gimmick or not I couldn't say. I did it once years ago, it has to be brushed on and was a PIA to do...no idea if it's easier now or not. You are supposed to be able to test your hunting clothes for phosphates by seeing if they glow in a black light, but if you've ever been around folks wearing normal clothes in a black light, the dark colors don't "glow" so I lean towards the gimmick thing.
    Sounds like you have a good plan to get the stink out of them.

9. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    No she's always used too much detergent but now after this is come to a stop. We didn't argue. The baking soda kinda worked and the ozonics definitely had an impact but there is still that little bit of scent. I doubt it's nothing the wind can't hide but as for the black light test I've heard about this as well but haven't tried it. If I get around to black light testing them I'll keep you informed on how it goes. Thank you for the advice!

10. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    Brad paisley says it pretty good in the little moments song

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some of the best hunts I've had I've not had the energy to wash my hunting clothes. Screw it, hunt anyway. Always hunt the wind and try to get that wind blowing over the deer if they happen to get down wind. Seems to make 0 difference in 90 percent of my hunting set ups.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gri22ly likes this.
  12. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    I always hunt the wind too, but it seems to swirl on me often enough (especially in elk country) that reducing my scent as much as possible still makes a lot of sense to me. In my mind it's kind of like when you smell a BBQ. You can tell by how strong it is if it's your next door neighbor or someone towards the end of the block. I'm trying to make it so if a deer or elk gets my scent, it is hopefully weak enough that they at least think I'm much further away than I really am and perhaps that buys me enough time to get a shot. With that being said, 98% of my encounters where my wind goes to them results in watching them run away. This year while in my treestand I was watching a coyote that was mousing, about 90 yards out. He was slowly making his way towards my downwind. That thing nearly turned inside out when he hit it. No freezing and looking around, or slinking away nervous...he just plain turned inside out and took off like a streak.

13. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder how well a bag of bamboo charcoal would work if thrown in with your camo? Like one of those Moso brand bags they sell on Amazon, anyone ever try something like that?

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you just got the green light for all new head to toe Sitka gear. Tell her that the mortgage will just have to be a month behind. Maybe next time she will think twice about laying a finger on your camo :tu:

15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For that offense I'd consider putting an "intact" male cat in her car over a long weekend.

(intact meaning not neutered)

Lol, not really...I would just hang them up in the open and let them air out a few weeks.

16. justinwmoe88

Dislikes Received:
    My brother wears Sitka and it is in my belief that predator brown deception works better... we've took pictures from a good distance a few years back

Shocker99 likes this.