Turkey with compound bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by John T., Mar 19, 2019.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Due to safety issues, might use a bow. I have a Darton LH bow that can be set up to 45 lb. with 65% let-off. Old bow that was my son's. Turkey season comes in March 30th so I need to practice a lot. Been shooting some and can group in 4 inches or less at 15 yards. I'm looking at setting a maximum distance marked with my decoys. Using carbon arrows, 500, and three blade broadheads. Any advice is most welcome. Have a nice place to hunt, BTW. Watched two toms strut their stuff. Can't decide which one would taste the best. :confused:

BowhuntOnly likes this.
  2. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bow set up should be fine. For turkeys I would highly recommend using a blind or brushing yourself in very good. The hardest thing to do with the bow is get it drawn without them seeing you. Otherwise best of luck to you and hope you put one down! Toms or Jake’s doesn’t matter either way they all taste just as good!

justinwmoe88 and SharpEyeSam like this.
  3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know you're using a low poundage bow but I would recommend something like the Killzone Low KE mechanical broad head (or similar) for turkey. Had way better luck shooting turkeys with mechanical heads than fixed heads. Killed them with both and had better results with the mechanicals due to a small vital area. Good luck.

4. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your setup is good and keep up with the practice. For sure use the decoys to distract them from you drawing the bow. It's tough but wait until they are not in your line of sight when you draw. You already know where they are, get in early and setup and wait. Let us know how you do!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^This^ Very Good Advice!

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Getting drawn without them seeing you is far and away the toughest part if no ground blind. Best scenario without a blind is only one comes in and you can draw when he turns away and his fan is blocking his whole head. They have about 270° of vision. Make sure nothing is making any noise when the bow is drawn too. I like to use shrink tube on the rest rather than mole skin, it is much thinner and doesn't fall off if it gets wet.
    I also recommend a wide cutting diameter broadhead. The vitals are very small and a fixed blade has to hit them perfectly or else they fly or run off.

You're likely out pursuing one already with a March 30 opener, good luck!