Arrow FPS Speed vs Draw Weights

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gregg Cobler, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned my bow about 8 weeks now and I am up to 52 lbs of draw weight with 28.5 DL on my mathews Halon32. Chrono says arrows are going 258-260 right now.... 390 gr arrow....

I was looking at a 7 pin site, but when I called the Manufacture with a few questions, they mentioned for all the pins to work right especially the 6th and 7th pins, I have to be shooting 270 fps plus for them to come into play.

$64,000 ?????

now I am at 52 lbs and 259 fps .... How much further up the poundage scale do I need to get to obtain the 270 min mark?

Thanks for allowing the rookie to be involved.

2. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to say for sure but I'll bet you that a 10# increase would get you real close to 270...

3. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much...
    Shooting 52 now, I only have 60 limbs on my bows. Even 8 more lbs would be a bunch and I know most 60 lb limbs will shoot 62-64 lbs most of the time... WOW.... Guess I better bulk up or find another route... at my age, I am not sure how much more is there... 52 lbs I am shooting should do everything and then some, that I want. Think the option might be to find another option maybe....

Always open to hear more ideas and opinions... Please ...

Thanks for your reply

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what you're planning on shooting with those 6th and 7th pins but for most people under standard hunting conditions you're not going to need them. For me, the fewer pins the better. I'm shooting a single pin adjustable sight now, which I love, but if I went back to a multi-pin setup it would be most likely 3 pins set at 20-30-40 yards and that's it. Any more than 3 or 4 pins gets too cluttered and unncessary.

Given your poundage and relatively low arrow speeds (by today's standards) I'm not sure you'll want to be shooting animals at whatever distance those 6th and 7th pins would be set at. I'm guessing they would be 70 & 80 yards.

If you simply want to practice shooting at those long distances you should look into an adjustable sight. They provide a much cleaner sight picture and are great for long distance shooting since you can dial them in by the yard.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what you're planning on shooting with those 6th and 7th pins but for most people under standard hunting conditions you're not going to need them. For me, the fewer pins the better. I'm shooting a single pin adjustable sight now, which I love, but if I went back to a multi-pin setup it would be most likely 3 pins set at 20-30-40 yards and that's it. Any more than 3 or 4 pins gets too cluttered and unncessary.

Given your poundage and relatively low arrow speeds (by today's standards) I'm not sure you'll want to be shooting animals at whatever distance those 6th and 7th pins would be set at. I'm guessing they would be 70 & 80 yards.

If you simply want to practice shooting at those long distances you should look into an adjustable sight. They provide a much cleaner sight picture and are great for long distance shooting since you can dial them in by the yard.

6. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:

My thoughts were not for hunting but for 3d and 5 yard spreads which would make 50 longest shot. But maybe I am over thinking yet again. LoL.

7. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find the ideas about sight pins to be most interesting. This thread seemed to pique my curiosity. There are all kinds of ways to bow hunt with sights. I taught a Hunter Education class and did the the part on archery. I took a "poll" on who was using sights. I questioned two bowhunters. One shot with five pins. The other used one pin and basically was an instinct shooter. Thanks for the info!

8. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd max out your 60lb limbs (only if it's comfortable for you to shoot) and just see where that gets you... Sounds like the company says 270fps is the threshold but that's more than likely just a baseline - some may not need that much speed the use the bottom pins while others would need more... Kinda depends on where you anchor and your peep height is at? Long as your peep is in the 5 3/4 - 6" (which is pretty average) range from the middle of your dloop, I bet you'll be fine. People that have a lower peep height seem to have more issues with running out of bottom sight adjustment for distance. Though there is no real huting reason to shoot more poundage than you are comfortable with, I've had many pass-throughs on elk with a 27.5" draw and 60lb limbs - really more about your arrow and broadhead selection than anything.

Another sight to consider would be the Black Gold Ascent Verdict - comes standard in 3 or 5 pin configuration but you could get it customized to 4 or 6 too... It's nice because you can lock in your sight housing and run it essentially as a fixed sight but then there is a slider wheel that moves the sight housing and makes your bottom pin a movable adjustable slider pin. I like to practice at distance for fun as well, kinda cool to have an 80, 90 yard pin....

https://blackgoldsights.com/bowsights/ascent-verdict-2/

9. penak

penak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  10. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much for your time and response.
    My immediate need is for hunting... because this coming fall will be my first hunting experience with a bow... And the places I have to hunt 40 yards will probably be a max avg shot distance...

My question, even though I probably didn't word it well & for that I apologize, was for shooting 3d with a fixed sight... 7 pins would give me 5 yard increments from 20- 50 yards.. instead of 10 yard increments....

I am 58 years old and 51-53 lbs is the sweet spot for now... I need to shoot this for s while to even think of moving up... I have had it up as high as 55, but can't comfortably shoot that but 20 times or less before struggles begin...

Patience is the key...

I appreciate every ones ideas and information.... I am just an 8-10 week old shooter rookie... but a sponge for information...

Again ears open for ideas and thoughts.

11. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't ever think that a faster bow will make you more successful in the woods. The speeds your hitting now are plenty fast enough. Stay where you are comfortable and be confident in it. You will find that it can be harder to draw sometimes when that moment of truth presents itself in the woods and you will want to be as comfortable as can be. Like said above, the multi pin sliders are a great option. I use a 3 pin slider that is really simple to use and leaves the sight window nice and open, yet will adjust for well beyond a hunting distance. Being a new archer you will probably have to experiment some to find what works and what doesn't for you. That is part of the fun of this though. Read a lot, be patient, and enjoy the process. Good luck and God bless.

12. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the encouragement
    Learning lots just here...

13. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think the pins are really going to cluster together on you if you try and put them all at 5yd increments. Most bow hunters I’ve known, helped, talked to etc start their fixed pin sights at 20yds and then increase each pin 10yds.

14. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question.
    When looking at bows and manufactures speed info for said bow isn't it always based on the upper limb # range with a 28 " draw? I thought that was standard across the board.

15. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes after reading this thread, the idea I had in theory, sounded like it might have worked... In reality just would be more headaches and expensive than practical.... I think....

I am still open to here ideas & thoughts...
    Because the main thing I know about being such a rookie is how much I don't know...

16. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Upper poundage I thought 30 inch draw...
    But.i might be mistaken

oldnotdead likes this.
  17. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Full draw weight at 30 inch draw with a 350 gr arrow unless the full draw is less than 30 inch is how they set ibo

18. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, it is set at 70lbs, 30" draw, and 350gr arrow. Different manufacturer's draw lengths can vary slightly, so the 30" draw can realistically be anywhere from 29.5" to 30.5". I'm sure maximum back tension when they fire it through the chrono...

I'm with TJ McKenzie, absolutely shoot what is comfortable for poundage. Accuracy is way more important, and it is quite often in a hunting situation that holding at full draw for a while becomes necessary. I think a 7 pin at 5 yard intervals would be a very cluttered sight picture. In a 3D shoot it would be fine, but I'd be nervous of using the wrong pin in an excited hunting situation.
    I had an old Alpine Fatal Impact that only managed 250 fps at 70 lbs, but had no issue in running out of room to have my 5 pin sight set for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. With your 20 yard pin sighted in towards the top of the frame are you running out of room at the bottom, or do you just want to avoid having to gap pins as much as possible?

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just my 2 cents but..... If you're looking at more 3D rather than hunting, a single pin adjustable sight should be just what you're looking for. 7 pins at 5 yard increments, IMO, would be way to close together for the shorter distances and not present a clean view of the target. Even if you get a 5 pin sight set at 10 yard increments, (starting at 20 yards), you can usually end up using the bubble level as a 6th pin so to speak and it should be right in the 60 - 70 yard range.

I have 2 bows, one with a single pin adjustable and the other with a 5 pin set at 10 yard increments. I like them both equally because they both have there advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what situation you're in and how you're using it. But if you go with the multi-pin sight, I wouldn't recommend more than 5 but then that's just my opinion again. Either way best of luck and have fun!