Turkey hunting question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Mar 21, 2019.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had the opportunity to hunt for turkeys and thinking of maybe giving it a go in a couple weeks here on my lease in Texas, but I had a question when hunting with a bow. Has anyone ever taken a turkey without a ground blind? I know their eye sight is extremely good and from what I hear they will pick off any subtle movement which makes the opportunity of taking one with a bow that much more challenging.

2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Decoy and ground brush blinds, leafy branches jammed into the ground. I don't hunt high poundage, this allows for earlier comfortable draws and hold. With todays bows high poundage really is , IMO, more mental than functional.

3. pdun24

pdun24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You definitely will need to pick your spots. I hunt in a lot of timber so I choose to make my movements when the turkey is behind a tree and their view is blocked. Or when they are facing the opposite direction. Hunting them with a bow is difficult if you're running and gunning like a lot of people do. I've only really tried going with a bow twice and never got near a bird. Decoys are also a good way to take attention off of you. That'll keep their eyes focused elsewhere. Good luck!