Draw length- Hoyt compared to Mathews

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Odocoileus, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Odocoileus

Odocoileus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

I currently shoot a RH pro defiant at 24.5 inch draw length. I am looking at buying new LH bow due to cross-dominance but am obviously limited due to short draw length. I am looking at ordering in a Triax but the problem is it only goes down to 24.5 inch draw length which doesn't give me much wiggle room. I know a 24.5 inch Hoyt fits me great but I'm worried there might be some slight variation with Mathews, especially since 24.5 inches is at the bottom end of the range for the Triax.

I don't have the option to shoot a bunch of different bows as shops around here don't carry a big inventory and LH short-draw bows are few and far between.. So I'm looking see what others have to say that have shot both Hoyt and Mathews- how to the draw lengths compare?

Any insight would be appreciated!

2. Jay b

Jay b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot hoyt and Mathews the last 10 years in hoyt I shoot a 29 and Mathews a 28.5 almost every Mathews I've ever shot or tuned ran almost a half inch long.

3. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sold and setup both brands for two years as well as owning several myself.. Draw was always consistent for me. Turns out an inch is an inch whether you're in Wisconsin or Utah

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've noticed quite a few manufacturers being long on draw length. Mathews seems to be a big offender here. I believe this companies are doing so purposely to inflate their speed numbers.

5. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ATA and IBO both specify the draw length - besides of draw weight and arrow weight. Calling a number "ATA speed" or "IBO speed" imply this specifications. Don't mention that all companies drop peep sight and d-loop for the measurement, and exhaust the allowed tolerances.
    Not sure if there are any penalties for offenders - to me, it seems more like a convention amongst manufacturers then an enforcable standard.

6. Odocoileus

Odocoileus Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Folks, thanks for the comments. By the looks, people have split opinions on this.

It sounds petty asking about small dl variations between manufacturers but like I said my dl is 24.5 which is exactly at the bottom end of the triax. My backup plan was to go with the hyperforce if I didn't get the triax but it turns out they have been discontinued since hoyt released the helix. I guess I had better start hanging from my arms to stretch them out!

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I generally shoot 27.5" on a Mathews and 28" on a Hoyt so in my experience they seem to feel longer than shorter if that makes sense....

Another bow to consider is the Mission/Mathews MXR which goes down to 23.5. It shoots really nice and they put the same cam on that bow as the Avail and Stoke - it's a really nice cam....

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My question is....What is the measured DL of your Hoyt???? That is where I would start. Then figure most every bow you get will be slightly longer than the list DL on the cam/module.

You can still draw a Triax (RH) with 24.5 mod and measure the actual DL to compare to your Hoyt.

Remember bow design/geometry has an effect on you "feel" of that DL.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mathews will run long, like way long 1/2 to 3/4 in some cases.
    Hoyt depended on the cam number, most been 1/4 long to dead on.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Mathews TX-5 goes down to 23.5 inch draw length

I shoot 29 with both Hoyt and Mathews. Mathews was notorious for running long years back but no so anymore in my experiences.