Which Axle to Axle length best suits a shirt draw length?

Discussion in 'Archery Tackle' started by James Giarraputo, Mar 17, 2019.

1. James Giarraputo

James Giarraputo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 25.5-26” draw length and am looking into getting a new bow. I am curious if a longer ATA bow (33” or greater) will still accommodate such a short draw length in regards to string angle? From what I’m gathering it seems it may be better to have a longer bow for almost any draw length when it comes to string angle as well as stability, would that be correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot 28.5”-29” DL on bows that are 30.625” - 32.25” ATA. I found that I shot the 32” bows noticeably better. I think my accuracy increased more because of properly matching my peep size to my sight housing size than ATA length. I have a Specialty Archery peep with changeable apertures and a sight with an adjustable dovetail mount so I can adjust the distance from riser.

I feel like 32” is the sweet spot for my hunting style. I may get a 35” as a target/3D/backup hunting bow.

That being said, I think the longer DL archers are affected by the ATA more than shorter DL archers. I would recommend getting the most ATA you feel comfortable maneuvering in hunting situations, otherwise most other factors (quietness, draw cycle, let-off, speed, weight) take a bit higher priority for me in hunting situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    never put much on ATA, and I have a long draw. I even shoot a Triax just fine.
    To me brace height has more effect on accuracy/shootability.

jstephens61 likes this.
  4. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will get less arrow pinch with the longer ATA. And I agree that all things being equal, brace has more effect on shooting than ATA. All that said, my draw is 29 1/2 and I prefer a 34”-35” bow with 7” brace. Heck, we used to shoot 48” Hoyts so my Elites are short!