Everyone is a buck bedding area expert these days

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Mar 12, 2019.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You know how hard it is to find a well used buck bed on even average hunting lands? Now make that heavily hunted lands. I see more people on more huntint videos claiming they know exactly where the bucks bed and exactly where the does bed on their lands. Come on man.

I'd say very few people (of which I am not) can consistently find well used buck beds and solid buck bedding on the grounds they hunt and then use those clues to kill a buck.

It's just getting old to keep hearing this buck uses this point bc of the slight elevation change or bc the wind is coming from behind while they look downhill. It ain't that easy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can find beds, and I can find decent rub lines leading to or from beds, but to figure out when the buck is using those specific beds is beyond me. I hear people talking about preseason glassing to find a buck they want to hunt. None of the areas I hunt are open enough to see anything until late season. I still try to find beds when I’m scouting. I’m definitely not knocking down big bucks every year so I try to learn anytime I can.

SharpEyeSam and w33kender like this.
  3. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No biggie, it's not rocket surgery....I know where all our bucks bedding areas are and why they are where they are and when they are there. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
    A bucks bed is where he's laying, he's there because he wants to be and he's there when he wants to be there.

Just remember, no matter where you go...there you are.

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% agree. There are a ton of wannabee "experts" who listen to one video of someone saying something along the lines of "you see the slight elevation here on this transition from swamp to hardwoods, this is a prime buck bedding area."

cml5895 likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am an expert on finding the exact location bucks are not bedding, few rival my skills.

6. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly where a buck is bedding when I jump him out of it or if his sheds were left behind in one for me. Beyond that, it's all speculation for me.

7. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most guys find a buck bed about 30 seconds after they bumped the buck out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    after sitting various stands for so many years I came up with this phrase of wisdom which seems appropriate to this----Da Deer is where they is - and - They isn,t where they ain,t yes that's the real spelling, wanted to sound similar to many generations ago !

9. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose it really depends on the type of ground and cover you are hunting... I'll be the first to admit that many of the areas I've hunted over the years I had hunches of maybe where they were bedding some of the time but really had no clue where they were for the most part.... But then there have been some areas and bucks where I knew EXACTLY (like within 50 yards) where a buck was bedding.... About 15 years ago I was chasing a public land buck that I had found out by scouting that he was bedding in a specific 1 - 2 acre patch of chest high grass... I couldn't tell which path he was going to take out of the cover every evening but he was in there (until the pheasant hunters kicked him out later in the season)... If the wind was right I would take my shoes off and sneak across a cut hay field and perch in my stand right on the edge..

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time in the woods and getting to know the deer your hunting is one of the best ways to find buck bedding. I hunted about 90% buck beds this past season. I think I had encounters with 6 or 7 mature buck (3 1/2 or older). All years before, I would be lucky to 1 or 2. You got to know the deer your hunting. The maps can get you close, but you got to know what your doing once in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

oldnotdead, BowhuntOnly and JeffC like this.
  11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have my own Podcast where all I do is make YouTube videos about finding buck beds. How dare you judge me.

12. BowhuntOnly

BowhuntOnly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am no expert. I had no idea this concept of buck bedding existed 5 years ago. I mainly hunt one piece of property and thought I knew where the bedding areas were. Now that I hunt mainly public lands I do appreciate all the YouTube videos explaining this topic. You can quickly determine if the person explaining the topic knows what they are doing. The cool thing is that you can follow or find a lot of information on the topic!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

oldnotdead likes this.
  13. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well heres the thing. I'm out there everyday. I know the lay of my land and I have several dozen elevated stands. I know the difference between the buck and doe beds I know they bed here mid to late winter. They bed either side of me during the summer. During hunting they randomly bed here during hunting season. The swamp is a year around bedding. I'll sit in a stand and watch them get up and down from beds on the neighbor during the day. In the rut I'll have them stroll through and bed by this tree or that. I know they bed at the end of a steep incline and just long the top drop of a ridge . that is years and years of viewing. Then I can guarantee to find a big boy bedded under any one of several good stands as I reach them in the dark.
    BTW.... I'd have a heck of a time on public figuring this out...

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't overlook machine sheds if the door is left open. That's kind of been my secret for years, but I guess I'm ready to start giving up a little more information about buck beds. :ninja:

IM000035.JPG

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well Fletch you blew my expert mind I would have for sure declared that a bed free area.

cml5895 and fletch920 like this.
  16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are watching fields/crops at long rage to find their bucks. When the food source is consistent, so is the deer activity.

17. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It really is funny....the interweb has been flooded with buck bed experts. I've been expecting the bubble to burst anytime (when everyone figures out it's mostly BS), but it seems to be gaining ground, lol.

All it takes is...killing a nice buck or three, in a funnel, in a target rich environment during the rut...and you too, can be a buck bed hunting expert. Or at least that's how it happens most of the time.

virginiashadow and Sota like this.
  18. Onetrakryder

Onetrakryder Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can get the whole concept. It would be great to make it that simple. I enjoy the shows on YouTube as entertainment. Don’t believe the things shown on any of these shows-Youtibe or otherwise are anything more than that. Just entertainment. But wouldn’t it be awesome if they were just handing us the map.

19. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those thinking they have a mature bucks bedding spot nailed down is nuts.
    Don't take much for him to switch.

SharpEyeSam likes this.
  20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Walked out into a hell hole today. Swamp island. Deer tracks all up in the darn thing. About an acre and half island. Only a few doe beds from what I saw. Not one single buck bed and I scoured the hell out of it. But I should do a pod cast on buck bedding.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

axtell343 likes this.