Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not too bad today. Warmed up with an 8.5 min mile. Then wanted to see where I was with my incline dumbbells. Warmup. Then did 80s for a set of 8 then 90s for a set of 8. Rested a min then did 11 wide grip pullups. I'm getting there. Need a few more months of this stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn man... 8s with 80s and 90s?! That’s impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virginiashadow and jrk_indle84 like this.
  3. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha no kidding, I was happy tonight did set of 55 and 2 sets with 60 for 12. And I definitely wasn't doin pullups after.

Had good workout tho. Besides that did some tri and shoulder stuff too. Did a drop set of tricep pull downs that bout killed me. Started with 120 for fifteen and added five reps for ever 20 pounds down. By time got to only 20 lbs on machine was pretty gassed. Also did dumbbell rows starting at 50 goin down 5lbs to 20 for sets of 15. So my arms are pretty much jello right now.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    virginiashadow likes this.
  4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an older guy these days but I was a lot stronger in my 20s. Incline bench mid 300s or so. I'll be happy to get a ser of 8 or so with the 100s here soon. Wont go much heavier bc I dont want to get injured.

dnoodles likes this.
  5. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Things are starting to really rock lately! Weighed in this morning at 211, down another 4 from last week and 36 pounds total!

I am seriously considering joining the national guard, looks like if I do ill have the opportunity to really trim down on the governments dime :)

6. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    **** I'm over here doing 8x3 with 50lbers haha.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Weighed in at 170 last night. Down 37lbs since January 1 of 2018. All the grad school/dad weight is officially gone. I haven’t been this light since my wife was pregnant with our oldest, 8 years ago. Going to see if I can get down to 165 and the start putting the muscle back on. 165 is what I weighed when I got married almost 11 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeez good job. I've lost 12 pounds since December 1st. Trying to get lighter for some cycling races I'm doing this summer. Losing weight sucks. Dieting sucks.

9. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good work!

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    45 min of cardio and 20 min of leg training today. Entire system is finally getting strong. I could have gone another hour.

pastorjim08 likes this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Did Week 3 Monday today, 125 lbs on Power Clean, 65 lbs on Barball Lunges plus 20 sprints. Looking to add 10 lbs to each lift when I start the cycle back at week 1 after doing week 4 hiking next week. Last year was all about dropping fat. 2019 is all about maintaining the endurance while improving total body strength on a few basic lifts that translate well into hunting prep.

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back from gym, not sure what happened but today just kinda felt like blah. Did: dumbbell flat bench, incline dumbbell, lat pulldowns, ohp, bent over rows, curls, and skullcrushers with dumbbell. Didn't feel like tris got much work so did cable pulldowns too. Got some good work in and can feel it but just felt like was kinda goin through the workout and trying to get it done. Oh well tomorrow is another day and will be doin lower body tomorrow.

Usually workout with brother in law and we been talking bout switching it up but have only been doin this program for about a month and think I'm gonna stick with it for while longer. Kinda seems like should stay with it little longer than just a month but may start changing some stuff around. Way its set up now I'm doin heavy deads and sqausts on same day and gonna try and change that up so won't get burnt out on one before doing the other. Usually do dead first and try goin kinda heavy so makes it hard goin very heavy on rest of lifts. But sounds like you guys are killing the weight loss so good luck keeping it goin.

13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Walked 5 miles today. Ran a mile. 150 pushups and 100 lunges. Simple and effective.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    if I lifted anything over 70# dumbbells my elbows would explode and there would go my hunting season.
    been nursing a torn ulnar in my right arm for going on 15 years, then fell on/chipped my left elbow snowboarding 2 years ago and that tendon is starting to fray.

sticking with plyo other than dumbbell curls for now. My 215# ass is plenty of resistance.

15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Had to go to gym little later so it was pretty packed when got there. Guy see all the time wanted some help with a spotter for bench so helped him out before starting my workout which wasn't bad. Today did deads, sqaut, leg press, leg curls and calf raises.

Warmed up on deads up to 300 then did set of 3x5 at 300 Squats worked up to 180 did set of 5 then 2 sets at 200. Just the plate weights idk what to add if anything on smith machine for bar. Did other lifts and decided to do some cardio on the bike. So did 30 mins on there.

After hit the bike nobody else was really there and wanted to do some more deads since didn't get to go as heavy with all the ppl at gym. So worked back up to 300. Did 2 at 340, started feeling my grip was getting weak and did 360 for 3 reps last week being able to hold it so decided to see if could pull what had been my previous goal with straps. So put 400 on and was able to do one rep, didn't wanna push more than that. So pretty happy with that and felt good. Don't think I'd be able to jump that high relying only on my grip so will go back down and try working back up without straps. Idk I've said before there's really no reason to push heavy weights other than challenging myself. I'm not really pushing myself too hard and stop adding weight if form goes to crap so hopefully keepin that in mind will prevent anything from goin wrong.

16. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    I've decided to switch up my gym schedule. I can't take waking up at 3:45 in the morning to go to the gym anymore when the latest I can fall asleep is 9:30 or 10 at night. I need more sleep. The last 2 weeks I've found myself yawning non stop all day at my desk and then almost falling asleep on my hour drive home. I've never had an issue with feeling tired when waking up early, so I'm not sure what's going on. When I start noticing that my face looks physically drained and tired I need to do something about it. I look like a damn zombie when getting ready for bed.

New schedule: Get up at 5:20 for work, work 8 1/2 hours, go to gym after work, get home about 6-7pm, eat dinner, and get in bed.

17. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think everyone has days in the gym, or while running or biking that they just aren't feeling it. I know I do at least.

jrk_indle84 likes this.
  18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    jrk_indle84 likes this.
  19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Throw a few of these in the rotation for core stability. Don't underestimate or use too heavy of a weight.

I like doing them on the cable stacks.

The Pallof press

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good we. I like those static core exercises.

Cantexian. I've been using your shoulder rotation exercise with the band. My left shoulder is already feeling better. It had been really sore for 3 months and was starting to really lose mobility. Thanks.

cantexian and jrk_indle84 like this.