Indiana Man Illegally Kills 200″ Buck: Did He Get Off Too Easy?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Mar 7, 2019.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like no one here would chance a shot at a buck like that. Psssssh, gurl pleaz...snitches ruined his good time.

I can only assume he was hunting legally at the time minus the buck tag, in that case, he made a piss poor judgement call and got caught. You ban the guy for life, you create a life-long poacher.

2. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. But coons and rabbits i do shoot with older arrows quite often out the tree stand. Coyotes are pretty rare, more so if I had a rifle.

Onetrakryder likes this.
  3. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I agree 100%, though in my opinion all poaching offenses should carry a heavier fine.. hit people where it really hurts, the bank account.

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the excitement of the moment when this buck walks in front of someone, not everyone is going to make the same decision. The punishment is supposed to be a deterrent, not a lifetime banishment for one mistake or poor decision. You don't get your drivers license suspended for 2 years when you're speeding, texting while driving or for getting in a accident. You get a ticket, pay your fine and hope your insurance doesn't go up too much. Think for a second about someone knocking on your door and telling you that you can't even go with someone hunting for the next 2 years. For most of us it would be, and should, be the worst 2 years of your life. If after those 2 years are up you say to yourself I'm never gonna do that again and don't, that is the point of the exercise.

Now in no way am I condoning what he did. He broke the law plain and simple but I'm not ready to burn him at the stake for one poor decision. If for some reason I made the same bad decision, I'd like a chance to redeem myself as I think most of us would. But make the same mistake a 2nd time, then we have a problem and obviously you didn't learn your lesson.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One could argue that killing it was his first mistake....he then knowingly lied and attempted to pass it off in an entirely different season. Strike 2
    Am I saying from my high throne that I would not have pulled the trigger....I hope so but can't say for sure, and would be lying if I did. What I can say is if I knew I didnt get to hunt legally (which this guy proved isn't a issue for him) and 1500 in fines was worst case scenario...well that does help the decision.
    Still don't know if he got to keep the buck. I know in NY and OH you can't if you're a Dbag

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would assume they took the deer... I'd be shocked if they let him keep it...

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, they took the deer. You don't get to poach an animal and then keep it.

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People actually felt sorry for the poacher. He had been raised by parents who expected him to be a great hunter and demanded success. He was deemed psychologically unfit to stand trial based on his upbringing. The state actually gave him back the deer, sent him to counseling, then paid for his sex change all the taxpayers dollar. And I think Obama pardoned him as well.

Sota likes this.
  9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What is his go fund me page?

10. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    haha... wouldn't surprise me in this day and age... doesn't everyone get a trophy now?!!

virginiashadow likes this.