***Size Matters - Team 3***

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Western MA Hunter, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    awesome!!!! Congrats...

dawg007 likes this.
  2. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Taxidermist had me stop in today to have me look and help to set the antlers from my buck that popped off. I think we got them pretty darn close.
    IMG_5492.JPG IMG_5493.JPG IMG_5494.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Rick James and Turro like this.
  3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks nice but are the antlers sitting a little high on the form? Looks like they are a tad high on the form by the pictures.

5. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    i think he still needs to cut down the form on top to fit the kit. I believe they say 2" - 2.5" above eye.

6. WakeCow

WakeCow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Gonna boil him tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turro and Western MA Hunter like this.
  7. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wake Looks like a good start cleaning him up. Should go easy and make a great mount.

Out of curiosity, any of you guys ever use full metal jacket 4mm? I had been contemplating switching to fmj for years and just never got to it and a buddy mentioned those and curious to hear any reviews or thoughts on them. Not completely unsatisfied with what I’m using or anything but always curious if there’s a good improvement around and always wanted to try them

Western MA Hunter likes this.
  8. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Turro, i have been looking into FMJs myself.

Turro likes this.
  9. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They look solid. Had a three rivers test kit of the old ones I experimented with and had going nice bare shaft then but got busy and off track and just been using what I had. Checked out the 4mm and it’s a price jump up for sure. I’m gonna see how next few weeks go and maybe get a half dozen and do some testing. Can’t say it doesn’t get a little tougher to try different when hits around $50/arrow all set when have enough of what’s worked but maybe the thought of it and my impulse will override complacency

10. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    wound up picking up a new bow... a 2018 Prime Logic. I have been shooting 70lb for years, but this one is 60lb. I am still torn about the poundage... it's probably more mental...
    What are all of your thoughts on 70 vs 60? both are comfortable for me... the price was right on the 60lb.

Turro likes this.
  11. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow. Have a friend that shoots for Prime and has always had good to say about them.
    How does speed compare to the old one? When I went from 70 to 60 it was a huge upgrade since went from infinite edge to insanity, so faster shooting, less weight, great feel, all around plus. That’s an extreme going from the lower to higher end bows but even if shoots same just less weight to pull could really pay off for colder sits and different times drawing and holding smoother. Probably more the mental part than anything, guessing it’s gonna get some good kills this year

12. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Halon was has ibo 335 at 70lb. This is 330 at 70lb... so I am going to a slower bow w/ lower poundage... so, not too far off on IBO. Hopefully it isn't too noticeable. My Halon would prob be about the same at 60lb. I was going to up my arrow spine on the Halon anyway, so hopefully it will be close since I will be staying with the same arrows I had.

It is said to be one of the finest shooting hunting bows made. I don't shoot 3d, etc. so that doesn't bother me.

Turro likes this.
  13. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m guessing it’s gonna work out more than good for you. I’d guess for the small amount of speed difference that being a better shooter it’ll more than make up for it, and with having months to practice and get used to it before then it’ll just be normal to you. I had been back and forth obsessing about getting different limbs for mine to get the 70s for the mental part and squeezing out few more FPS but didn’t really justify overall. Wasn’t for all too much difference and the drawing/holding was a good consideration too. I loosened mine up down to 50 just to see if I noticed on shots a change like that and was some but if i woulda forgot it lowered I woulda just adjusted and been fine. I know I let little mental things keep in my head usually so had to see to know

14. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm finding that the draw weight argument is quite comical. I mentioned it to a younger guy the other day at the gym that i was dropping down to 60lb from 70lb. He literally laughed in my face and basically said i was old and week... boasting about his 72lb draw weight...

Just goes to show that this topic is sometimes very ego driven.
    I then proceeded to spot his feeble 225lb press that he could barely rack after 3 ugly reps and I then proceeded to rep out 315lb for about 15 reps... just to shut his little a$$ up... ;) torn labrum and all.

rbhunting1 and Turro like this.
  15. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome, and couldn’t be more poetic of a way for it to come up and be addressed :)

16. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    So....i wanted to love the Logic... i really liked it.. but didn't LOVE it... I feel like I was dating again... hahaha.
    I wound up going back to my Halon 7 and switching to Easton FMJ 340s from my Axis 340s. I had my Halon tuned up and now, with the heavier arrows, the bow is dead quiet. It's crazy how adding 50 grains of weight or so to the arrow quiets things down! I also put Bow Jax Limb Dampeners on it. I also ordered a Coolhandluke string stop. This bow is going to be DEAD QUIET now (if it can get any quieter) and it completely dead in hand.

The Logic was much louder. The draw cycle with the 60lb Logic was no easier than the 70lb Mathews. So strange. I guess that's a testament to the cam design on the Mathews. The Logic did have a great back wall at full draw though, but rolled over much harder. I think the biggest issue was the grip. I felt like I could not get a consistent grip on the Logic. It was basically just the riser. I was slippery and I feel like I had to adjust my grip that I love to shoot with to try to get consistent groups.

I wound up flipping the Logic for $100 more than I paid! It worked out well. I guess the grass isn't always greener! A good lesson learned. Again, It is like a relationship.... don't take things for granted that you know and love! ;)

Turro likes this.
  17. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear it worked out so well Western. Dropping a few bucks on a flip wouldn’t have been shocking but coming ahead is great.
    That’s why I don’t really want to try other bows now is can get the impulse to jump and then not work out. Happy with the one I have and if I don’t try or know others I won’t go towards them. Also agree on adding the extra weight. I added 50 g brass weights last year or two and tightened groups and quieted things down. Talked to a buddy and he can get a good deal on black eagles so gonna try theirs that’s comparable to the FMJ. Thinking I’m gonna shoot for around 500 grain or just above and see how they go. Getting caught up on spring stuff and getting ready for vaca haven’t got to touching the bow but after trip should be able to get it set. Looking forward to that. A buddy stopped by with his sheds for the year and kinda got some good motivation there. Now just to match the time to it

18. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey finally opens here Monday... ugh.. what a long wait.

Turro likes this.
  19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any news on if y'all can stay together?

cml5895 likes this.
  20. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    i haven't heard anything... I'm not sure if anyone even formally asked a moderator.... It would be pretty cool if we could though...next year would be an epic battle between you guys and us again!

Turro and Fix like this.