Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My body is so sore. Two months of pounding weights and cardio have my body feeling like a ton of bricks. Need to take a week and just do extremely light weights and low impact cardio or else my aging butt is gonna get hurt.

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did a ME upper day yesterday and it was rough.. Lost my focus half way through and it just didn't come back. Spent 3 hours at the gym grinding through it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should think about doing yoga a couple days a week. There is literally an endless amount of free content on youtube. Not the most manly thing to do and it may seem like you arent accomplishing anything when doing it, but yoga probably has more overall benefits than lifting weights and probably just as much as doing cardio.

virginiashadow likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My cardio is just dragging myself to the bathroom and breathing, I'm barely managing either. Been 20 yrs since I've been this sick with a cold, yep cold no temp.

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I like that idea. I was always flexible growing up and would like to stop being so sore from being tight.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Nervous dad here. Daughter in the state semi-finals tonight. Winner is on the state final bball game. As a result I walked five miles in the woods this morning to burn off some nerves. haha.

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Groin got sore this morning during my mile run. Muscle right at the crease of my leg (likely part of the groin muscle). Hoping once I stretch it out tomorrow it will be good to go.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    State championship game on Wednesday. Girls VA big school game. Here we go!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tell her good luck.

As far as the rest of this thread, went and worked out earlier, did mostly upper body stuff. Subbed in dumbbells for bench instead of using bar and seemed to do alright. Didn't have much pain in shoulder after so that's always a plus. Ended up adding few pounds to most lifts and felt good.

For anybody interested the workout been doing is phul. Its a 4 day workout with 2 heavy days and 2 light weight high rep days. Supposed to kinda focus on vig 3 for powerlifting. Kinda needed something to get started and plan on switching to something else eventually. But this has been working to get things goin again and back into lifting. This will be 4th week doin it so don't know how much longer will keep it goin. Guess until figure out something else to do ha.

10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I pretty much use dumbbells for all my presses. I feel less likely to be injured and don't need a spotter.

jrk_indle84, MnHunterr and dnoodles like this.
  11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. Dumbbells for everything.

12. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I've noticed alot more ppl do actually. Talked to a guy at the gym the other day that has been lifting far more than me and he said does the same because of a shoulder injury. I will probably go that route now.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Do this to warm up before every upper body workout, especially if any upper body presses are in the workout. Your shoulder pain with go away with time. In the long run barbell bench press isn’t worth the risk of shoulder injury unless you are a professional, college, or Olympic athletes or training to be one. Dumbbells and body weight work is much better for health and longevity for the average person.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsoBMUbBwSs/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1mmpzy91h7nrn

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    jrk_indle84 and virginiashadow like this.
  14. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight workout went good. Did lower body heavy: deadlift, squat, leg press, leg curls, and calf extension.

Deads went pretty good, warmed up and worked up to 320 again on last set. Still felt good and got cocky and wanted to see if max went up so threw 370 on and got it for 1 rep. So in bout a month added 20 #'s but biggest difference was grip felt stronger and wasn't about to lose it at the top. Squat didn't change much did 220 and felt like could of done more but didn't wanna push it after dl. Overall felt good and feel like progressing in everything so can't complain.

Really have no reason to push for heavy weights I just kinda wanna see what's possible. Right now goal is 400 dl and at least my bw for squat so 250. Not really all that crazy but easier to set small goals and keep raising them, that way always have something to shoot for. See after that, but with limited weights at gym will probably max out what they have before long ha.

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    My aging 240 lbs butt ran 40 minutes yesterday and walked 20 minutes. Gonna hit some at home yoga today. Screw it I need it.

17. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a toughest leg day I've ever had in the gym last night, but I got through it and broke my max DL as well.

Last week I did a 295 block pull (dead lift with bar on 3" block, focuses on the lock out). Last night I hit 295 on a full dead lift, plus 40# in chain so I was pretty happy about that!

Started eliminating all cheat meals from my diet besides the Friday night team sushi dinner. Hoping to really make some progress on BF so I can hit my goal by my target date of April 4th

Then to switch and add muscle with a very controlled surplus

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jrk_indle84 and virginiashadow like this.
  18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Just like that this little girl is playing in a state championship game tonight! Cosby vs. Woodbridge at 6:00pm at VCU. Go Bel! Go Cosby! Im so nervous I can barely sleep and I have to work after the game tonight. LOL

[​IMG]

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Tie game going into the 4th but we lost. She had 4 steals in the game and some pts. Tough luck.

dnoodles likes this.
  20. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    That kinda sucks man, sounds like she did her part and was good game. Still an accomplishment goin to the finals.

As far as work goes, I mean come on haven't you watched super troopers? This is all ya need. Quick nap an you'll be good to go.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019