Lots new shooting less than 2 months.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Gregg Cobler, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First post:
    Bought a Halon32/6 from shop demo package all setup with RipChord drive rest (I think) and copper John III PRO... it is a 60 lb limb bow, I started at 43lbs and have worked up to 51 lbs now...

Been an accomplished rifle person, love the new shooting experience... some principals transfer well shooting what others at the range think our impressive groups.... learning about replacing nicks and veins already...

Found everyone in archery very helpful..
    I am learning fast... I am learning to apply my shooting knowledge to my new endeavors....
    Everyone has an idea what works and I should and shouldn't do...lol...

Never hunted with a bow either but getting ready to try that this coming fall...

Because this bow is a 3 yr old demo bow, I am considering my first set of strings... Maybe a simple question, what are the symptoms of strings needing changed?

Tha is for allowing g me to join the group.

20190122_142349.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it's a decent shop they probably changed the strings on it already depending on how much demo it got. The only signs are that the string itself may get "fuzzy", or you may see wear or separation on the servings, mostly near the knock area or close to the cams. Ask them if they know if/when the strings were changed, if they don't know, just keep an eye for those signs.

Gregg Cobler likes this.
  3. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well seems like I have to use lots.of wAx to Combat fuzz....as well as s ok me of the shots seem to just fizzle out in a dullness without much crispness... if I am communicating things.... the bow is 3 years old... thinking might take advantage of "knowing when" aspect and get them change (& to use the vanity spot to get good color).....

4. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Three years don't say much about the amount of shooting done.
    I would better ask in a pro shop, what they think about the string.
    With occasional shooting (and not storing the bow in direct sunlight), it can be fine for years.

Not bad grouping, but I would avoid shooting groups (i.e. aiming at one spot) at very short distances.
    With the second Robin Hood, it gets annoying ...

5. Gregg Cobler

Gregg Cobler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, that was a 20yd group and I have learned that broken nocks and cut veins can add up fast, besides Robin hoods... lol.

I appreciate the time you took to help educate this rookie... after most of my life rifle precision shooting and reloading, it won't be long before arrow building starts... investigations have started... but that is another thread...

I will investigate for more info...

The vanity factor is creeping in a little though... lol...

Thanks again

6. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting compound for about a year now - not really considering myself a professional. Traditional bows for decades.

Just to mention that, the kinetic energy and moment of an arrow shot from a compound is comparable to a rifle bullet.
    So, you won't have a bow exploding near your face - like from a worn string ...

Arrow building - get into traditional or even primitive archery, and you can spend hours collecting straight branches for shafts, feathers, flint stones etc.
    And weeks processing them ... :biggrin: