Bow advice for a UK hunter

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Adam Godley, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Adam Godley

Adam Godley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello,
    I am from the UK, unfortunately bow hunting is illegal in the UK, however it doesn't stop us getting a bow, practicing and then going abroad to use it.
    Our range of compound bows are limited to say the least. And as I'm new to it I'm reluctant to spend a fortune on a bow that I will not use much. I have seen two on ebay and would like some advice on them.

PSE STINGER X COMPOUND BOW
    HOYT IGNITE COMPPOUND BOW

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome

I’m from Lincolnshire originally but been here for a while.

Both PSE and Hoyt make great bows. If you get the opportunity go and shoot a few there’s subtle differences between all you may or may not like.

I shoot a Mathews Chill X with a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL sight, the thing weighs a lot but shoots amazing, my buddy tried it and hates it so what’s good for one is terrible for another.

Good luck and keep us posted

w33kender likes this.
  3. wannabe hunter

wannabe hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome from another European country where hunting is illegal ...
    To the bows - I'd say try and take what suits you best.
    The Stinger is a very affordable entry level bow, yet there are many examples of archers competing with it successfully in national competitions.
    I think if you stay clear of cheap Chinese rip-offs, you will be fine. It will take you at least a year or two to become as good as your bow.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Both PSE and Hoyt make good bows so your choice of brand isn't the hard part. It's the feel of the bow when you shoot it. Each bow is going to feel different in each person's hand. I shoot Mathews and Bowtech and they feel great to me. Others may not think so but they are good for me. I have no idea what kind of market you have available to you in the UK but my suggestion would be to try and find a shop and spend some time shooting all the brands you can. If you find something you like, you might be able to find it cheaper on E-Bay but also consider there won't be any "tuning" done to it for you. You're probably gonna have to set up everything yourself which can be time consuming if you aren't familiar with how to do it. (I've been bow hunting going on 6 years now and still take both my bows to my local shop for everything). My local shop does most easy work for free since I purchased my bows from them and recommend them a lot. They are also a wealth of knowledge and a good place to meet other hunters from my area.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck and hope it's something you stick with! Cheers!