What was your strangest kill shot

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by oldnotdead, Feb 19, 2019.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I saw these two does feeding a couple hundred yards away in a grass field. I put on a stalk. I believe I missed my first shot, hid behind a little rise in the terrain, then got another arrow ready. The does were on alert but the smaller one at about 30 yds kept feeding. I drew my bow, eased up on my knees, and let one rip as the doe was broadside. She spun so fast at the sound of my release that the arrow entered at extreme quartering away behind the back ribs. The doe made an awful sound and the arrow came out the does throat. Dead within seconds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was gun hunting with a friend many years ago. A nice buck crossed the road, friend jumps out a shoots with a 12 guage slug. Buck piles up in a heap.
    We walk out to it and it got it's eyes closed and was litteraly shivering.. he shoots it again in the chest.
    Upon gutting it, we found where the first shot landed...
    It hit the nut sack and both balls had been hit.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am older Brett looks like me, I have heard that before I was in the airport in Narita Japan and got asked for my autograph. That picture was taken me of me at a little breakfast nook in Barnes Wisconsin. My son was coming back from the breakfast buffet and he was excited that the buffet offered pizza rolls, the look on my face kinda explains what was going thru my head wtf who puts pizza rolls in a breakfast buffet?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a nice buck come in way too close before I could get a shot. At about 3 yards out and quartering to me, I aimed just left of the spine and shot. I saw my arrow enter and exit the same side of the bucks body. I could not believe what I had just done. Since it was now getting dark I opted to come back in the morning and track the deer. I finally found him the next morning about 150 yards from my stand. As I suspected, I had only hit one lung..... barely.

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My luckiest/oddest kill was my first archery deer. 12 years old, first year archery, confident out to 25 yards in the backyard. 4 point comes slithering through at 20 yards and I am thinking chip shot. That is until I stand up and lose all control of my body, shaking, breathing heavy and heart beating out of my chest. As I draw, the buck stops with his vitals completely exposed and large trees covering both the front shoulder/neck and his guts. I punch the trigger so badly that the arrow bounced off one tree, skimmed off another and I assumed completely wiffed. As the buck ran away I saw the arrow fly 10' or so in the air. Ended up bouncing off the trees and angled straight into the front of his chest. Nicked enough of the heart to have him die 75 yards away. It was a fluke and I don't really count that as my first archery kill, but it was neat to see how the arrow still had enough energy after being deflected twice.

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll try that this year.

cml5895 and airenlow like this.
  7. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha! I always wondered what that look was about. Pizza rolls on a breakfast buffet? Teenagers must have been running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian, oldnotdead and Sota like this.
  8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think that is my normal resting face, I am always thinking wtf.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After 17 years of applications, I finally got my unicorn tag for the mountains of Narnia. I put a muzzy through all three lungs of the herd bull at 69 yards in the worst glitter storm you have ever seen. Good times.

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a cartoon! :lol:

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think my strangest kill, and only my second bow kill, was a small doe back in the 70's. I was on my way out of the woods at dusk and came upon a deer feeding on the beechnuts. I stopped, but she knew something wasn't right and was looking around. I was able to draw my bow, but now she was looking in my direction. As I aimed at her brisket and released my arrow, she put her head back down to continue feeding!!

Well, my arrow went straight into her mouth and must have busted her spine, because she dropped in her tracks. I put a quick killing shot in her vitals. I was young, and learned a frontal shot isn't a good choice. :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  12. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was exactly like a cartoon. Luckily I have learned to control those nerves a little better. And I do mean a little better.

oldnotdead and early in like this.
  13. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pin ball deer hunting..

14. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No Texas heart shots to speak of?

15. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Strangest kill shot was when I was in high school and took a terrible shot at a doe that deflected off a branch and hit her in the rear. Luckily it hit an artery and she was dead within 100-150 yards.

16. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Was filming my girlfriend bowhunting bears once.
    I brought my bow also.
    She shot a bear right at dark.
    Looked like a perfect shot but I told her to stay while I went and looked. Had the flashlight out looking for blood when I heard her saying something but didn't hear what it was. I looked back and whispered to be quite.
    She chimed in again and I got a bit agitated.
    Asked her what was so important. She said a bear JUST walked by her?. I said where did it go, she pointed into a fern patch just a few yards away. I looked and seen a bear coming our way. I nocked an arrow and the bear kept coming. ( Non-existent threatening). I had a tag and it was a chocolate colored one. I drew back and when it was litteraly sniffing my knees, it turned broadside, I shot. Not sure if the arrow actually left the string when the broadheads hit hit. About a 2' shot.
    Not a biggie but kinda cool non the less.

She did not hit her bear.

17. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was my 1st season of bow hunting. I was sitting with the wind in my face and back to a big hill and thicket. I could see 100 yards in front of me easy thru the rest of the woods. I heard a sound to my right and it was a doe that came down that hill from down wind of me. She stepped out of the thicket in a small opening. Between a tree on my left side about 20 feet in front of me and a tree on the right and like 30 feet in front with like a 2 ft gap between them. I made the shot when she turned broadside. I heard the hit and see the arrow sticking in her on the other side as she ran away. 10 mins later it started to rain so my cousin and I decided to back out come back in the morning. When we found her the arrow was sticking in her neck maybe 8 inches away from her head. I didn't think I put that bad of a shot. The next evening I was sitting the same stand and looked around after a while and seen a mark on the far right tree where my broadhead took bark off. So the arrow deflected off the tree and with her standing head left and me aiming behind the shoulder it hit high left in her neck. She didn't go far.

18. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was my first archery deer I had a young fork buck come in at probably 20 yards and I shot for 30 needless to say the arrow was going right over his back until my arrow hit a dead branch that had leaves on it (I had not seen the branch previously) and my arrow went into the leaves and came out directly on target, heart punched the buck he ran 20 or 30 yards and tipped over.......Luckiest and weirdest kill thus far!

19. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This season, I hit a 9 point in his back right ham. On release, he took at least a step and I felt horrible. He actually made a 180 and stopped at 27 yards broadside where I hit him with a double lung. That first shot still bothers me!!

airenlow likes this.
  20. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I tried this one time on a 145" 10 pointer. I was in my early 20's and just a week or two before was with some older hunters who claimed to have killed a pile of deer by running one right up from the back to the front. This buck came in the snow and I never heard him until he was about 8 feet from my tree. When I turned to look he spooked and bounced out to about 30 yards. I drew and he was facing dead away from me. Let the arrow fly, heard it hit something and the buck ran off. I never found my arrow. I never found any blood in the snow and was able to follow his tracks for a long time. I never found the deer. I never got another trail camera photo of the deer. To this day it's the oddest situation I've ever had and the last time I'll ever try that.

As for my strangest kill shot - was sitting on the ground during late season and shot at a big nanny doe at about 30 yards. She spun toward me at the sound of the shot and caught the arrow right in the throat. It went all the way in her and stopped in her back ham. She was dead in 30 yards.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    slickbilly-d likes this.