Bow Performance vs. Poundage Setting

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hossco, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Hossco

Hossco Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone noticed a sweet spot in their bow performance within their bow poundage setting? For example, on a 60-70 pound bow, does the bow generally shoot the best when set towards the low end, mid-range or high end of the poundage setting? I just increased the poundage on my bow to the 70 pound maximum and my arrow groups seem to be off quite a bit and am much less consistent. I have not noticed any problems with drawing the bow back or holding it at full draw. What does everyone think on this?

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is said that a given bow will perform it's best at it's maxed out poundage. Any time you change your draw weight it's going to change point of impact, so adjusting your sight will be needed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    StanfillKY likes this.
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At one time it was true however for most bows it is now so negligible that it’s not even worth worrying about. Turn it down, turn it up...doesn’t make a difference.

davidingle likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One to think about is the spine of your arrow. You may have been at the max of your current arrow and now it's under spined, since you turned up the poundage. I personally never saw a difference by changing my draw weight, as long as I was shooting a proper spined arrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mr.O and StanfillKY like this.
  5. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the cam selection based on your draw length has more effect. For instance with the older hoyts, I have a 28" draw and could use the #2 cam that goes 26-28" or the #3 cam that goes from 28-30". The #2 cam would give me like 7-10 fps more and felt a little bit better on the draw

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This

You can actually fine tune your draw weight to your arrows if you want to take the time to do so. Trad shooters do it via string twists. Compound can do the same thing via the limb bolts.

Back your screws out a little at a time until the groups tighten up.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Mr.O and Holt like this.
  7. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This.

https://nockontv.com/article?download=26:conquering-the-hil&start=60

John Dudley has prescribed a method for determining if your arrow is properly spined for your setup by analyzing groups shot at at various poundage, usually over a short poundage range. Effectively, you’re simulating weakening or stiffening the arrow spine to find the optimum performance. You’re treading into that pool. For example, if you were to shorten your arrow some now, decrease point weight, or add rear weight you could perhaps stiffen the effective spine and perhaps tighten your group. As I understand it anyway. *shoulder shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StanfillKY likes this.
  8. Hossco

Hossco Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone for your replies - definitely some things for me to consider.

9. James D Jones

James D Jones Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting a Bowtech VFT Samson , it shoots best when the limbs are tightened all the way and backed off 1/4 turn which puts it 104lbs. When it's backed off to 90 pounds I get large velocity spreads even when shooting the same arrow. Granted this is a 14 year old bow. My son is shooting a Diamond SB-1 and it shoots great as we are steady increasing the draw weight and length , but shooting the same arrow , it just seems to be an extremely forgiving bow

10. jakerite

jakerite Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The correct poundage for you is what you can comfortably shoot 8-10 arrows consectably and can hold steady on all shots. All bows are calibrated with the limb cranked down. Not to say that that is a "sweet spot" and but you set your bow to be comfortable to shot and tune it accordingly.

11. NUARCHER

NUARCHER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Question do any of you notice an increase in arrow speed with custom strings over stock. I just swapped my 70lb limbs to 60lb limbs on my 08 elite z28. Shooting 380 grain arrow 27.5 draw length and I put my stock strings on just waiting to buy some quality custom strings and cables. Just wondering if I will notice a speed increase when I put customs back on also will the draw weight max out higher. Right now it’s maxed right at 60lbs.

12. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    The only reason new strings would add speed is if they are not in spec causing the draw weight to increase, the string material is better (I think bcy x is advertised as faster than 452), or your current strings are stretched badly (which if they have been on the bow for 10 years its a possibility). You could try playing around with speed nocks/buttons but.. meh..

13. NUARCHER

NUARCHER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had custom strings on it for ten years I just put the stock strings back on. Sorry for being confusing.

14. davidingle

Dislikes Received:
    Then all else being equal I would say no, unless the custom strings aren't exactly the same lengths or it is different string material.

NUARCHER likes this.