Maine Bear/Moose/Deer Hunts?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rampaige, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father, brother, and I are looking into a fly fishing trip in Maine this fall. We're planning on staying at a wilderness camp site, or renting a cabin for a few days. I think it would be awesome if I could get a guide to do some hunting for bear, moose, or deer as well. Is it possible to get a guide for a few days while staying off site? Has anyone done something like this?

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well count out moose hunting. Its one of the hardest tags to draw in the country. I have a friend on his 20th year applying this year. Bear and deer are there and fair game though! As for an off site guide, I am not to sure...you can try to contact a few guides in the area of your cabin/camp site and see what they say.

3. Edcyclopedia

Edcyclopedia Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on what dates you're thinking about coming down this way you could contact Robert Dore on facebook via the wabanaki wilderness page. Here's a link. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wabanaki-Wilderness/182984961732014 We're located in downeast maine where there are some great opportunities to take good sized black bear off of bait sites in the month of september.

5. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ahhhhhhh.... it's a fly fishing trip. Don't get confused. LOL

6. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on when you are coming up, and where you are going. You can scratch moose of your list now. Bear season opens around the 28th of August over bait and lasts 4 weeks. There is a bear season with dogs for i believe 6 weeks after that. You might be able to pay a guide to sit over one of hus bait sites for a few days, but I would still expect to spend 500 bucks doing that. It is not cheap running a bait site so they need to try and recoop some of those expenses. Depending where you are you could run your own bait site. The word is that there are a ton of bears this year. You have to have permission to have a bait site on someone elses private land, on state land you only have to notify a game warden where you are going to set up a bait.

Expanded archery for white tail starts usually the saturday after labor day I believe, but that is limited to a few metropolitain areas of the state. The regular archery season starts around the last Thursday of September. You do no need a guide, just go knock on some doors. Technically in Maine if land is not posted it is fair game to hunt on without land owners permission.

Any questions send me a pm. Everything is going to depend on where and when you are going.

Depending on where you are I have an active bait site you might be able to hunt over for a couple of days

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  7. Frankiecruzer

Frankiecruzer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Moose is a no go for a NR. Your odds of drawing aren’t zero but it’s close to it. Outfitted bear hunts in Maine are hit or miss. Smallish bears are the norm and shotty outfitters abound. There are better states to hunt in then Maine.