Which arrow rest.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by James D Jones, Jan 31, 2019.

1. James D Jones

James D Jones Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So after 13 years of shoothe the same setup I've decided to get a new bow.
    I picked up a Bowtech Reign 6 , 70lb. ImI going to stick with my HHA style site but I'm trying to decide which rest to use. I'd like to try the newer drop away style that are limb or cable driven , i used a Montana Back Gold "Trap Door" for the life of my old bow and it worked great , failed to drop a couple times but having the old prongs it wasn't a major issue.

I've narrowed my search down to the AAE Pro Drop , Hamskea Versa Rest and Vapor Trail limb driver micro elite..

I'm not interested in the ones that can be "cocked" to stay in the up position because I've read several instance where the rest failed to drop. I'm not to concerned with the "full containment" features of some of the rest , I've use a rest with the TM Hunter style prongs for over 20 years and never had an issue with the arrow falling off.

Does anyone here have any experience with any of the above mentioned rest or have any others that they would like to mention.?? Like I said I'd prefer to have a rest that is either normally up or down via spring tension then forced up or down by cable or limb movement.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For hunting, I love the Wisker Biscuit, because of it's simplicity and containment. No moving parts = no problems.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have experience with any of the rests you reference; but i have used limb driven and cable driven drop aways (trophy taker and QADs, respectively) and while I liked the limb driven for target it was not the best for hunting- the long cord tends to snag on stuff as you go through the woods/fields much more frequently than a short cable cord.

Just something to consider.

FWIW I've never had my QAD Ultra rests fail except once last season- in sleet. I was able to knock the ice off but it was a little sticky until I hit it with a lighter I keep in my pack for emergencies. A Whiskerbiscuit would have had the same issue (or worse- can't take a flame to the whiskers)

4. Paul Frey

Paul Frey Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a QAD on my bow. Have had the bow almost 15 years (Mathews LX). Early on I had a problem with it (It didn't drop all the way). I had it at the Pro shop and the owner replaced at no charge to me. Other than that I have never had a problem with it.

5. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot say enough good things about the Limb Driver Pro-V. It performs for sure. I haven’t owned a QAD, but I have shot bows with them and wasn’t impressed. Seemed a little cheap to me

6. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will second the Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro. Well made, limb driven and completely flawless. I have never even read about a failure regarding this rest.

7. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had 3 QAD all with issues, great CS they replaced them all. Tried Ripcord Code Reds, they were okay. Now NAP Apache (Carbon) on 3 bows with zero issues. BUT I always will have a bow ready to hunt with a WB.

8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use QAD HDX rests on all my bows. I haven't had any issues. I got the QAD MXT on my Helix, doing well so far.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

wildlifebioLU likes this.
  9. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Axion Archery has a pretty good rest also. I've personally not used it but my buddy has had one on his Z-7 forever and loves it. Just something to check out if you haven't already.

10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am switching back to the Alpine Whisperflight. I have had an Axion on my bow for about four years now and it is a great rest but I have seen my fair share of problems with it. In all fairness, Axion has great customer service and has always answered any and all questions that I have had. I like the Alpine rest just for the simplicity and proven performance.

11. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a TT Smackdown Pro on my bow, the rest is going on 6 years old now, and not one single failure with it. Had it on my previous bow as well. Highly recommend although I know it’s not on your list.

12. OfficerX

OfficerX Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure to look at the "Nock On Elevate 2.0". It's similar to the Hamskea but more versatile in my opinion. Go to nockonarchery on youtube to get the full rundown. It's limb driven with a steel cable, so no stretch over time. You can also set it up with a regular cord if it's something you want to adjust often.

The Rest --> https://www.nockonarchery.com/archery-gear/117-nock-on-elevate-arrow-rest.html

13. James D Jones

James D Jones Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up going with the Hamskea Trinity Pro. I was able to get into a shop that let me put several on and try them.
    I like the Hamskea the best out of several I tried.

OfficerX likes this.