Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I would be careful of kickout and worried about the mesh- those seats are made for wide dispersal of load and might not take a lot of weight in one spot very well. I would think that your boot soles would wear the mesh pretty fast.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was part of my concern, which is why I was wondering if anyone had tried it. Some of the platforms designed for saddle hunting are a little over-priced from what I can tell.

3. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. I’m sure they are good. I just prefer my ring of steps. They are comfortable and easy to put up. They also allow my to step all the way around the tree. A platform kind of keeps you on one side of the tree which defeats part of the purpose for me. Best of all a ring of steps is lightweight.

Mainly I’m a tightwad and don’t want to spend another $150 on a platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian and S.McArthur like this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm probably going to give saddle hunting a go this year as well. Going to use my LW hand climber seat as the platform.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is this tree saddle thing a "tactical" approach? :lol:

6. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sold my climber yesterday, ordered Samson predator rope, some caribeaners, and a rock harness today. Sit drag next week! Gonna give it a go!

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! That's how I started with the sit drag. It's a great way to get started. I don't use it, but my daughter loves hanging in it when I'm out in the yard shooting. It is surprisingly comfortable for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slickbilly-d likes this.
  8. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread. been thinking about this myself.

9. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Every thing for my rock harness/sit drag showed up. Got my tether, bridge, and lineman’s rope made. Tested it out ground level. I love it! I’m waiting on my sticks to show up, but I’m going out to a pre set lock on tomorrow to play off of that ladder and get up in the air a little. [​IMG]

S.McArthur, virginiashadow and Holt like this.
  10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So this thread is why I joined, glad I found it.
    I've been looking into saddle hunting. I have two reasons
    1. Back issues and leg cramping while sitting
    2. Hunting at camp.
    I'm not young, I'm not small but I'm willing to try something new.
    here is what I'd like to do because I'm not a public land hunter. Use my regular tree stands but strap in with a saddle rig so I can stand and LEAN out to take the vertical pressure off my spine and avoid the leg spasms.
    I get these all year but I noticed over the years they are by far more frequent during hunting season and when I spend hours on my feet working.
    What I'm looking at is to start with a sit drag and harness. This would give me the ability to try it and have a two point security line while seeing if it's for me without a high investment. I wonder if my hunter safety vest would work with this or a climbing harness is better. The other thing is roping and bridges. What to use and where to buy. I have the hunter safety tree rope with prusik.
    All thoughts are welcome.

dnoodles and virginiashadow like this.
  11. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I bought Samson predator rope from here. http://www.wesspur.com/items/pr15.html 25’ did my tether bridge and lineman’s rope. They also have smaller predator I used for my Prusik. I bought 10’ but probably could have used more

oldnotdead likes this.
  12. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    This is how I did mine. I made an adjustable bridge until I figure out what length I like. It may end up staying adjustable bc my late season clothes get really bulky.

Berwickbuckmaster and oldnotdead like this.
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes you can use your current safety harness with the sit drag. That's what I did when I first started. The safety harness is just a back up, if the sit drag were to fail. I also got a safe line, 30' I think. And made my tree tether, linesman belt, and bridge for sit drag. I had rope left over after. The predator rope mentioned above is also a great rope.

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys,
    I watched your video on you tube. A great help. I plan on getting the sit drag and and rope soon. I'll be practicing at ground or a few feet up..hang out and do some reading on nice days. I have a HSS tree tether and the harness. A whole bunch of carabiners from the many stand harnesses I've saved. I'm thinking I can use them to add a belt and webbing to the drag. Not being small I do worry about winter layering and fit. Just on the lower half because my coats have double zippers.
    I don't think I'll be too weary for long, I use to think I was afraid of heights,but looking at the stands and blinds I have built by myself over the years with out safety gear,perhaps not so much. I posted some pics of just two shorter ones in the " What blind set up are.... " Being locked in at 2 points should feel good. I hope
    As I've aged I realised Brumbles and grandma's,well we don't bounce! Lol So safety is always on my mind now.

virginiashadow likes this.
  15. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been watching all the videos and reading as much as I could about the saddles. Decided to get the Mantis and platform. Nice thing is if I end up not liking it, they sell quick for about full price. I was a tree trimmer for about 5-6 years long time ago. Now I work on the powerlines so should be a quick learning curve. I will have to get my ass and legs into “saddle shape” again.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! The best advice I can give you is just stick with it to give it a chance. The first few sits may be uncomfortable because it's something new. Also your body isn't use to the saddle, so that's were the saddle shape thing comes from. It takes time in the saddle for your body to get use to the new style. But once your dialed in, it's alot of fun!

17. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I joined the Saddle Hunter group on Facebook and have connected with a couple of guys in my area. Trying to get a time lined out with them to try a Aero Hunter Kestral and the Tethrd Mantis before deciding on which one to buy. Hoping can get something lined out this weekend.

Holt likes this.
  18. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used my saddle to trim a few tree limbs and put up a swing for my swing. It's pretty awesome yet still feels weird hanging off the side of a tree.

19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I met with a couple of local guys yesterday afternoon. I got to try both a Mantis and a Kestrel. I was able to try both about 10 feet off the ground with a DIY platform as well as the Bullman Steps and Wild Edge Steps. I definitely liked the Kestrel better as a Saddle but I like the tether from Tethrd better. I think I will be purchasing those and making a DIY platform. I already have a couple of decent lineman's belts. If I can sell my Hawk Mega Combat and Ranger sticks, I will be investing in a set of Wild Edge Steps. Based on yesterday, I think with 6 WE steps and an aider, I can get up 20-25 feet and have two WE steps to add to the platform to make getting around the tree easier. Should cut weight down to about 12-14 lbs going into the woods versus the 40+ I was carrying with the Hawk set up.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    slickbilly-d likes this.
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I have the sit drag and I received the tactical belt ,needles ,thread for the modifications but they had a shipping issue with my material. Seems Syracuse may have misplaced it..hhmmm. It shouldn't take long to finish once that comes. I have hung out in just the sit drag in the living room where I set my suspension gym. I do see the hip pinch issue but think my mods will help that. I'm still looking for the ropeman 1 for my linemans belt will use my HHS tree strap as my tree tether with a bridge and the linesman belt as a second back up from my regular harness. I'm just trying to decide on which brand rope I want. I'll start with the millennium 20 ft stick ladder. I really like it and already rigged 3-4 sections and walked with them ...not bad at all 10 - 13 #'s on my back. I may go to SRT

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019