How do Game Wardens Behave in Your Area ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by montec, Jan 26, 2019.

1. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering how game wardens (or "Conservation Officers" here in Ontario) behave while on duty. Are they courteous and well meaning or are they egotistical loose cannons that need counseling ? Not to paint with too broad of brush but here in Ontario most of them get enjoyment out of "burning" people with such frivolous infractions such as bow or gun out of the case 2 minutes after legal shooting time (as you are putting it in the case) or actually touching an animal before tagging. I had one a few years ago try to use his authority to try to scare us out of property we've hunted over 20 yrs to try and get it for himself.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never had a problem except for once over in Wisconsin. A CO came and checked our hunting license. Then she wanted all of the group to provide our driving license, I was not having it none of us were driving. I refused and she said she could arrest me for refusing. I told her to go ahead arrest me, she did not.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been hunting for over 25 yrs in VA. Never had a problem with any GW. In fact I rarely ever see any driving around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had a issue and actually have his contact info in my phone in case i need him.

5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had great interactions with Game Wardens out here in Oklahoma. Very knowledgeable, professional and full of good info.

Here is a link to a great story about one in particular.
    https://www.thelostogle.com/2019/01...ith-alleged-poacher-on-dating-app/#more-84651

Now that being said, I have a run in with a Conservation Agent in my hometown of Hermann, Missouri. He was a short guy with a Napoleon complex. I was in college out in Oklahoma and went back home for a week to bow hunt. I hunted across the road from my dads farm and I always backed into the gate. At the time I was driving a the ol Ford Exploder. So, I hunt that morning, around 9am deer go running by at break-neck speed, twenty minutes later this short little fella appears under my stand. Identifies himself as a CA, I get down, show him my tags, ID and ask him if wants to stand on a stump so he can look me in the eye.. He proceeds to tell me that he noticed my car does not have front tags and he suspects I'm illegally hunting. Oklahoma has never and will never have front license plates, the gate was closed and locked- Missouri law states a Agent cannot enter a property without permission if it is fenced and gate is closed. So he was trespassing. He started making some serious accusations and threats and I told him how proud I was of him for overcoming the challenges of being a such a short little guy and how big and manly he must feel threatening a legal non-firearm carring tall hunter on his own family's property all while hiding behind that badge. As I walked back up to the road he was yammering about this and that, more huff and puff. Got back to the farm, told my dad. Turns out that the little mini CA hunted the property next to ours, also turns out that my cousin was his Supervisor and our previous CA. He was transferred before the month ended. And I put an arrow in the buck he was also chasing. 20180306_151341.jpg

Napper, mathewsmq1, grommel and 3 others like this.
  6. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story.
    I too had the one I was referring to in first post push boundaries. Come to find out, he had asked the land owner if he could hunt the property. The land owner said OK but there were already a couple of guys hunting so to talk with them first. That's when we got harassed. Come to find out , in Ontario...an officer cannot hunt in his patrol area since it's a conflict of interest. My sister works for a big law firm in the city so I told her the story. She did the legal research for me then I ended up calling this officer right at his office and boy did I read him the Riot Act. This over-zealous twit even burned his union steward (not knowing at the time) for bow un-encased . The bow was in the back of the truck which had a hard tonneau cover which was locked and out of sight so un-encased was a pretty grey area. Now, needless to say, any issue this officer has get routed to the bottom of the pile. Not that we have ever broken the law...but now we always behave as if the officer is waiting at the road for us and we're having fun making him waste his time.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In 16 years of hunting public land, I've had exactly ONE interaction with a DCNR man. He checked my license, and that was that.

8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have met maybe 7-8 in my time.
    All good fellas.

9. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had several interactions with Game Wardens. In every case they have been all business and by the book while checking to make sure I was legal. Once that was done they were more friendly and down to earth. I don’t know how they’d have acted if I had been an ass with them. Never saw the need to be that way with any of them. They were just doing their jobs.

10. RGV Hunter

RGV Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have always had good encounters with them. You need to understand that their job is to make sure everyone is following the law. They are people just like you and me. If you encounter a game warden and you start critizing him/her about how they look or act then they will not be so friendly to you.

Put yourself in their shoes. Everyone they meet is likely to have a gun unless they are fishing and even then many still carry while fishing. They have to approach cautiously until they have determined that you are a law abiding citizen.

From my experience as a law enforcement officer everyone is suspect until I have determined they are a law abiding citizen. If someone is rude to me when I encounter them then I will always make sure I have the upper hand until the encounter is complete. At the end of the day, I want to go home to my family just like everyone else.

My two cents. Some may not agree but it has worked for me for over 24 years.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

pohl-cat, MUDSHARK, cantexian and 4 others like this.
  11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    hunted off and on in Indiana for almost 30 years; never seen one in the field.
    See them quite often in MI, but they know us and usually just stop by quick or leave us their card. Guy had a trainee with him last year so he actually came into camp and was by the book, checked our tags, our camp permit, etc.

I have never seen one in the actual woods; just driving around or at parking lots. Never had one be a jerk.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A kid that worked at the feed mill in town just got hired as a CO last fall. I have known this kid since he was a jr in high school. He made his own bow and arrows when he was still in high school. It was kinda funny he went to a Jr college up in Ely he even said then he wanted to be a CO back then. He made it his coverage area is north of me I think I am on the very southern edge of his coverage area. I told him to stop by next fall and check stuff out.

13. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had an issue with a Warden, they have always been easy to talk with when I have been checked. but I have never gave them a reason to be any other way.

14. justinwmoe88

justinwmoe88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve never had issues with the game wardens in my area! In fact if anything they have helped me out by helping get rid of trespassers and they also helped my brother catch some poachers and people stealing his trail cameras on his hunting property! They are great people around my area!

RGV Hunter likes this.
  15. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a mix of interactions with WCO's in my area. 75% good interactions but some not so pleasant ones. The volunteer deputies in my area seem to be the ones that hassle the most, especially in waterfowl season. All in all, I understand they are doing their job but some are just plain hard to deal with even on a routine inspection. It's the last job in the world I would want to do so I try to make the interaction go as smooth as possible, I wish they would do the same.

PICT0135.JPG

16. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like @virginiashadow above, I've very rarely interacted with VA CPOs. I've been here 30+ years and I have been checked by them less than a handful of times...and that includes fishing. Every interaction with them have been professional and courteous, I wish we had more in our state though.

17. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Our CO's have always been helpful when called and they have always been professional and conversational when I have ever been checked. They have a tough job and do a great job in my opinion.

18. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never been checked deer hunting but fishing they have always been very nice. Only one i've ever had an issue with was a complete ******** goose hunting down in Rochester.

19. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying to recall the last time I ever saw one while in the field. Maybe 15 years ago? I know a few around my area and they're all good dudes. There are a couple bad eggs here and there, thats in any profession. You also have to remember these guys are dealing with armed citizens every single time they stop someone. Most to the time, if you're decent to them and cooperate, you won't have any issues.

A guy a grew up and went to school with got caught jack lighting a deer years ago (yes he and some buddies were being stupid and they admitted that). The warden chased them all over the mountain until they finally gave up. They admitted it, took their lumps and fines and moved on. He said that warden was actually really decent, even though he was a little pissed about having to chase them down.

20. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    SC DNR men and women have always been courteous and personable when they've checked my license. I've only ever been checked when in the woods during duck season, however, and only in public woods. They seem to be more out and about then.