Heads up on a favor to ask!

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Swamp Stalker, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! As most of you know, I'm a psychology major. My plan is to be a psychologist at a VA hospital, so I can give back and help my fellow brothers and sisters. In order for me to do this I need to separate myself from the pack. I have been doing this the past year or by volunteering to work for a professor doing research. In doing so I have gained knowledge and valuable experience. In my short time there, I am a 3rd author on a graduate students manuscript on Military Sexual Trauma (MST) which will be published this summer. I have also presented a poster on the Relationship of Self-Esteem and PTSD at a national conference this past fall. The professor generously agreed to be my supervisor on my own research project in which I received a grant from the university for undergraduate research.

My interest area is PTSD in the military population. It will be an online survey taking approximately 30-45 minutes. To be eligible, you need to be a veteran and have experienced combat. Eligible participants who complete the survey will receive a $6.00 Amazon gift card via email.

I'm hoping to start data collection (once I receive final IRB approval) within a few weeks.

Once everything is a go, I will post up a link to the study. I need 200 participants.

I'm asking for help from you all who are on social media, to post up on your facebook pages: the flyer, and the link to the study. Of course, if you are eligible, please complete the survey and earn your $6.00 Amazon gift card!

Thank you all for taking a few minutes to read this, and your consideration in helping myself, and future generations of veterans!

Joe

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on being close to starting your research! I remember the stress and challenge of doing my own research project for my master's last spring. I am not a veteran so I cannot be a participant, but pass along a link to the survey when it is available. I have several friends I can try to recruit for you.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much!

4. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How are you assuring that the people who complete your survey are truly members of the group you want your data from.... ie real veterans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Good question. There are screening questions in place, and there are also questions within the surveys that only veterans will know the answers to.

I am using self-report measures which have proven to be pretty reliable. I wish I could conduct one on one interviews, however I am only a junior in college and do not have access to those type of grant funds that would be needed to conduct such a project.

This is not groundbreaking research. laws and rules will not be changed from the results of this project. Again, I’m a junior in college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk