Shooting from a sitting position

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by coytrapper, Dec 12, 2018.

1. coytrapper

coytrapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody else have trouble pulling the bow while sitting. I can shoot all day standing or kneeling but struggle while sitting which was the case on my late season buck.

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have read that if you can't draw your bow in a sitting position, your draw weight is too heavy. This might be a matter of opinion? :confused:

copperhead likes this.
  3. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can draw as easily sitting as standing, however I do make a point of practicing sat down so maybe that helps

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What early in said. If you can't sit flat on the ground and pull your bow back without a lot of motion then you should think about backing it off some. Least for me that's how I tell when the poundage is too high.

5. JasonT

JasonT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I agree if you can't pull it sitting down then its to much. Yes practice will also help. If you are hunting from a blind shooting sitting done is a must. I have shot many deer sitting in a hang on stand to avoid detection when trying to stand up. If you practice enough you will br able to return to your draw weight.

6. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What the others have said.

Its definitely a surprise which muscles you aren't able to engage while sitting that you use subconsciously while standing.

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Practice,practice,practice..last year I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to pull my 49# bow back. Not even a half inch,for over 20 mins. Broadside from 2 to 22 yards on a doe. She walked off ,I got out of blind stood and drew back like a hot knife across butter.
    It's muscle memory and muscle shift. We really do engage different groups standing or sitting. This said, I shot several times from a seated position in a ladder stand with no problem. We are positioned differently in a tree stand sit than a blind sit. I practice from my stands. I had neglected my practice from the blind sitting. That will not happen again.

8. OfficerX

OfficerX Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Drawing your bow uses your back, shoulders and arm muscles. It shouldn't matter whether you're sitting or standing. If you can't draw while sitting you need to focus on the fundamentals of drawing a bow. Make sure your back is straight and tight/engaged while drawing, i'm guessing if you're slouching or twisting.

9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your correct, though there are several groups of those layered muscles that are engaged. We practice standing and one of the things brought into play is stance. Which anchors our upper body from the ground up. When in a seated position that anchoring changes. Another thing is cold air effects can be more than we may think. Cold muscle don't work as well. Now add to all that your frame of mind. The initial lack of draw just sets off a series of things,panic being one. Increased heart rate, breathing, sending signals through your body.ect,ect.

It's important to practice from where we hunt. Be it standing, kneeling, chair sitting or ladder stand sitting.

OfficerX likes this.
  10. OfficerX

OfficerX Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree! Didn't mean to downplay the importance of practice, I just didn't mention it because you already had! We have a tree stand set up in our yard to practice out off because even shooting out of the tree stand is different that shooting off the deck. The elevation isn't the only thing you should be practicing with but also the mental concept of being in the stand and smaller standing platform. We also set up or blind and shoot from our blind chairs. It's important to be in the blind and not just practicing from the chair alone because the blind decreases the amount of light on your fiber optic pins, along with sometimes giving you awkward shooting positions with the windows.

It's important to draw first and then adjust to accommodate your shooting angle.

oldnotdead likes this.
  11. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I havnt tried sitting, but Ive shot the recurve, mongolian and longbow from a crouch. Couldnt hit the broadside of a barn yet that way. Lol more practice is needed.

OfficerX likes this.